Creamy Mexican Cheese Dip perfect for dipping
With the Big Football Game coming up we have been planning our munchies! Rod has been craving Queso Dip... You know the one.... Velveeta Cheese melted and mixed with salsa. The perfect accompaniment to the lowly Corn Tortilla Chip.
I had to remind him The perfect Cheese Dip uses Velveeta and is loaded with all sorts of unpronounceable ingredients. He's not nearly as vested as I am to trying to reduce our processed foods, but he agreed not to buy the Velveeta as long as I could create a delicious cheese dip.
In the hope of finding the perfect replacement, I began experimenting. I think I found one! My daughter asked skeptically, "Is this any good?" We chorally answered, "NO!" She took one look at us and dove right in. She gave it a thumbs up!
Other great appetizers to try:
- Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
- Quick Pita Chips
- Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels
- Peach Salsa
- Pineapple Salsa
- Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- Layered Dip
- Jalapeno Poppers
Mexican Cheese Dip
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 8 oz cream cheese (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 oz cheddar cheese (shredded)
- In a sauce pan combine chilies, chipotles and flour. Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium. Heat until mixture begins to thicken. Stir often to avoid scorching.
- Slowly stir in cream cheese.
- Stir in pepper jack and cheddar cheeses.
- Continue stirring until cheese is completely melted.