Cherry Tomatoes Stuffed with Cream Cheese, Garlic and Fresh Dill. This fun appetizer is a burst of flavor in every bite.
These stuffed cherry tomatoes are perfect for any party! I am taking these to our staff Christmas party, but these would also be perfect for a summer BBQ! When I think of party food, I always want a variety of foods – hot, cold, rich, decadent, crunchy, spicy, and fresh and healthy.
When I first started planning these stuffed cherry tomatoes, I thought about using my homemade Boursin cheese as the filling. I think it would be fabulous in these tomatoes, but then I started thinking about using fresh dill.
You could easily substitute the Boursin cheese spread for the cream cheese filling I made, or you could even use store bought Boursin. The filling isn’t difficult to make. It takes no time at all. What does take time is scooping out the seeds from all those cherry tomatoes!
I went through a few different techniques before I finally landed on one that worked. I also discovered the larger sized cherry tomatoes are much easier to work with than the small ones.
Seeding Cherry Tomatoes
- The bigger the cherry tomatoes, the better. Cherry tomatoes come in all shapes and sizes. The big round ones worked best for me.
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the tomato.
- If you have small, oblong shape tomatoes, turn them on their side and cut off the top 1/4 of the tomato.
- No need to level the bottom of the tomatoes. Once your tomatoes are hollowed out you can smoosh them down slightly and the bottom becomes flat!
- Use a small spoon to scoop out the tomatoes. I used a 1/4 teaspoon spoon. It was small enough to fit into most of the tomatoes.
You can see that I used different sized tomatoes and finally turned the smallest of the tomatoes on their side. It was much easier to scoop out all the seeds and pulp this way.
How do you stuff a cherry tomato?
The easiest way to stuff your tomatoes is with a piping bag and cake decorating tip. You can make the filling ahead of time, but make certain it’s at room temperature before filling the tomatoes. Otherwise the filling will be too stiff.
You can change up the herbs used in the cream cheese filling. Use what you have on hand or use your favorite! Just replace the dill with the following options.
- Basil – add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Chives – add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Thyme – add 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- Rosemary – add 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Cilantro – add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Parsley – add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
More Favorite Appetizers
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious appetizer recipes!
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 48 cherry tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. Mix well.
- Add fresh dill and garlic. Set aside.
- Cut top quarter of cherry tomatoes off. Use a small spoon and scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Push tomatoes down just slightly so bottom of tomatoes becomes flat.
- Put cream cheese mixture into a piping bag. Pipe into each cherry tomato.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed. Best served at room temperature.
- Amount of tomatoes may vary depending on size of tomatoes.
- The larger round tomatoes are easier to manage than the small tomatoes.
Flavor OptionsYou can change up the herbs used in the cream cheese filling. Use what you have on hand or use your favorite! Just replace the dill with the following options.
- Basil - add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Chives - add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Thyme - add 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- Rosemary - add 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Cilantro - add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Parsley - add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley