A perfect crowd-pleasing appetizer for a party, potluck or BBQ. These Mexican tortilla pinwheels are made with cream cheese, roasted chiles, and bell peppers.
Summertime is busy! We seem to be go, go, go all the time! These Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels are a favorite when I need to take something to a BBQ potluck! They are fast and easy and don't take a ton of effort to make! Other quick favorites are Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip and Guacamole! You just can't go wrong showing up to a party carrying one of these dishes!
These Mexican tortilla pinwheels are easy to pull together and are always a hit! You can easily adjust the filling with your favorite ingredients or to what you have on hand.
Options for filling
My favorite filling has roasted green chilies, fresh red bell peppers and finely chopped chives. You could also add jalapenos for extra spice! Some other options include:
- Roasted chilies
- Bell peppers
- Red onions
- Cheddar cheese
- Pimento peppers
Can I make ahead of time?
These are best if you make them a few hours ahead of time and refrigerate before slicing. They hold their shape a bit better and the filling doesn't ooze out. I have made them very last minute though too. They work out just fine - but maybe just aren't as pretty.
Can I use corn tortillas?
Corn tortillas do not work well in this recipe. They tend to crack and don't hold their shape. Use flour tortillas for the best results. Some options for flour tortillas include whole wheat flour tortillas, gluten-free flour tortillas or spinach wraps.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious appetizers!
Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels
- 8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 can roasted green chilis (7 oz can)
- 1 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches size)
- Place cream cheese in a bowl. Stir until smooth.8 oz cream cheese
- Drain green chilies and add to cream cheese. Add bell peppers and chives. Stir until well incorporated.1 can roasted green chilis, 1 red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon chives
- Divide mixture into four equal parts. Spread mixture evenly over each tortilla.4 flour tortillas
- Roll up tortillas. Wrap each rolled tortilla in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours until chilled through.
- Remove plastic wrap and slice each tortilla into 1 inch slices.
- Garnish with additional chives and serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.