Jalapeno Apricot Sauce – A sweet and spicy apricot sauce that’s perfect for glazing barbecued chicken or serving over cream cheese with crackers.
Jalapeno Apricot Sauce – is it a jam or is it a sauce? The answer is yes to both! This starts out as a jam but then white wine vinegar and fresh jalapenos are added and it becomes a sauce. The vinegar adds a bit of a tang, that makes it perfect for adding to barbecued meats or serving as an appetizer on top of cream cheese.
What ingredients do I need to make jalapeno apricot sauce?
- Fresh apricots
- White wine vinegar
What thickens the sauce?
Apricots contain natural pectin. The sauce is heated to 220 degrees which is the temperature needed for jam to set. You could stop right there and not add the final two ingredients and have a delicious apricot jam. Or you could check out this apricot jam recipe.
How do I make this apricot sauce?
- Cut apricots in half and remove pit. Cut apricots into small chunks.
- Add apricots and sugar to a sauce pot.
- Heat over medium heat stirring often.
- Continue cooking until temperature reaches 220 degrees.
- Add chopped jalapenos and vinegar.
- Cook over low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place in a heat proof dish.
How do I use this sauce?
- Use as a glaze with barbecued chicken breast
- Pour over cream cheese and serve with crackers
- Use with cocktail meatballs
- Use as a dip for chicken nuggets or coconut shrimp
- Add to a toasted bagel with cream cheese
What equipment do I need?
Most of what you need, you will already have in your kitchen. You’ll need a cutting board and a knife, a sauce pan and a thermometer.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
A sweet and spicy sauce perfect for using as a barbecue glaze or served with cream cheese and crackers.
- 1 cup apricots chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
Add chopped apricots and sugar to a sauce pan.
Heat over medium heat until temperature of sauce reaches 220 or reaches the gel stage for jam.
Add jalapenos and vinegar and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
Remove from heat and add to a heat proof container. Store in refrigerator until use or use right away.
- 4-6 apricots equals 1 cup chopped apricots
- Nutritional value is calculated at 1 Tablespoon serving size.