Mini Taco Cups made with black beans and phyllo dough. These make ahead bites are perfect for serving as an appetizer anytime of the year. Filled with seasoned black beans, cheese, guacamole and fresh tomatoes.
Appetizers are never out of season. I serve appetizers at just about every get-together we have and there are times when all I want for dinner are appetizers.
These black bean taco cups are perfect for a party or for just when you are craving appetizers.
I used phyllo dough to make these cups. They are super easy, stay extra crispy, and have a great crunch with every bite! Need I say more?
How do you make the phyllo cups?
I started with phyllo dough and brushed seasoned melted butter between each layer. After four layers, I sliced the dough into 3 inch squares.
The squares were placed in mini muffin tins and baked.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You can make the cups ahead of time and then fill just before serving. I was a bit worried about the phyllo cups becoming soggy after adding the filling, but they stayed crunchy for a couple of hours!
What do I add to these Black Bean Taco Cups?
If you have extra phyllo cups, you might also try filling them with goat cheese in this recipe from No Spoon Necessary.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
Other Great Appetizers:
- Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels
- Coconut Shrimp
- Cranberry Jalapeno Bites
- Puff Pastry Straws
- Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- Homemade Boursin Cheese
- Salami and Cheese Pinwheels
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
Check out my complete collection of appetizer recipes.
Black Bean Taco Cups
- 1 roll frozen phyllo dough thawed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Remove 4 sheets of phyllo dough from package. Cover with a clean towel.
- Mix melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning together.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a cutting board. Brush very lightly with butter.
- Place another sheet of dough directly on top of the first sheet. Brush very lightly with butter.Repeat with a third sheet.Place fourth sheet on top, but do not butter.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut dough into 3 inch squares.
- Grab each stack and place into a mini muffin tin pressing dough down into corners.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden. When slightly cooled, carefully remove from muffin tins.
- Pour beans into a colander and rinse to remove all sauce. Shake to remove any excess water. Pour beans into a bowl and mix in 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of beans to the bottom of each cup.
- Add a small amount of cheese, tomatoes, guacamole so cups are full. Top with olives and fresh chopped cilantro.