Cranberry Orange Muffins filled with fresh cranberries with a burst of fresh orange!
Fresh cranberries are in the stores. I had to make these cranberry orange muffins. Instead of just a plain muffin though, I made an orange sugar to sprinkle on the top.
The crunchy, sweet orange topping makes these ordinary muffins extra special.
I always buy cranberries this time of the year. I usually buy several bags. I bake all my favorite recipes and then I throw a couple of bags into the freezer.
The berries freeze well right in the bag. When I need them, I just pull out what I need and use them frozen. They last a few months in the freezer...my biggest challenge, remembering how many bags I have squirreled away in the freezer! I tend to lose track.
I add a mixture of coarsely chopped cranberries and whole cranberries! I love biting into whole cranberries in these muffins. It's a big bite of tartness. You can chop your cranberries to what ever size you like!
For the orange sugar, simply mix sugar and grated orange peel together. I used my fingers to really mash the sugar into the orange peel. The sugar will feel damp and wants to stick together. To sprinkle over the muffins, I pinched a bit between my fingers and then let it sprinkle.
There's nothing better than freshly baked muffins!
If you are looking for a little variety, here are some other muffins to make - banana muffins and oatmeal banana muffins. Some of our other favorites include blueberry muffins, raspberry lemon muffins, poppy seed lemon muffins, peanut butter muffins and chocolate zucchini muffins.
You might also want to check out this collection of The Best Muffins!
Don't forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you'll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my muffin recipes here!
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon granted orange peel
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder and sugar2 cups flour, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, ½ cup sugar
- In a separate bowl mix butter, orange peel, orange juice, egg, and milk.¼ cup butter, 1 Tablespoon grated orange peel, 4 Tablespoons fresh orange juice, 1 whole egg, ½ cup milk
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture.
- Fold in chopped cranberries1 cup cranberries
- Put into muffin tins sprayed with oil or lined with paper.
- Mix orange sugar. Sprinkle over muffins.2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon granted orange peel
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes