This moist cranberry bread is bursting with fresh cranberries and orange zest and is topped with an orange glaze.
A full package (12 ounces) of cranberries is in just one loaf!
Every Sunday my family gets together for a virtual meeting. We connect via a video conference and are able to catch up. We started last April and have met every week since then.
My parents are always there and usually most of my brothers and sisters (there are six of us), and several times spouses and my nieces and nephews join in too. It's not the same as meeting in person, but it is still a great way to connect.
During our last meeting my family asked what my next recipe was going to be. When I shared it was going to be cranberry bread, I got several oohs and aahs, but my dad said, "Don't you already have cranberry bread?"
I do have several cranberry bread recipes, including cranberry muffins, cranberry twist bread, cranberry apple bread, but I didn't actually have a cranberry quick bread like this one! Each bread is unique and just as tasty as the next.
I can't help myself with all these cranberry recipes. It seems like once cranberries are available in the store, I pick up a bag or two - or even three every time I shop. All those cranberries have to be made into something!
Steps to make
A complete list of instructions is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Combine dry ingredients and sugar together in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, egg, milk, orange juice and orange peel
- Mix wet mixture into flour mixture. Stir just until combined
- Gently fold in cranberries
- Place batter in a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour
Tips for making quick breads
- When mixing wet and dry ingredients together, don’t overmix. Just stir until combined.
- Be certain your oven is fully preheated
- Remove bread after cooling for 10 minutes in pan
- Allow bread to fully cool before slicing. This is the hardest part! It’s very tempting to slice into a loaf while still warm. It will taste delicious, but will often be very crumbly.
- Use a knife around the edge of the pan to release any bread stuck to the sides of the pan.
- Fully cool bread on a baking rack
More delicious quick breads to try
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be certain to check out all my homemade bread recipes!
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, eggs, orange juice and orange zest together
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined
- Fold in cranberries
- Place batter in a greased loaf pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 65-70 minutes until the center comes out clean with a toothpick test
- Allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and continue cooling on a baking rack until fully cooled.
- Combine powdered sugar and orange juice. Stir until smooth. Add a bit more juice if needed to make a runny consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over the top of the bread. Let glaze dry for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Test bread for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the bread and then removing. If there are a few dry crumbs, the bread is finished baking. If the are wet crumbs, return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.