Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins! These tasty muffins are packed with lemon flavor and poppy seeds. To make them even tastier, they are drizzled with a light lemon glaze.
These whole wheat lemon poppy seed muffins were a bit of a surprise. In my house we have a “Not Me” who seems to have become part of our family!
We have all sorts of random things that happen: a dirty cup gets left on the counter, an empty box of crackers is left in the pantry, a wet towel on the bathroom floor…. Yet every time I ask, “Who left the cup here?” I get the same answer from all my children! “NOT ME!”
I kid you not! No one ever seems to have ever made the mess! I believe Not Me has moved in with us!
I store my flour in a large plastic container with a sealing lid. It only ever has regular all-purpose flour in it. Somehow whole wheat white flour was poured into the container! I am blaming Not Me!
I was making lemon poppy seed muffins and didn’t notice that I used whole wheat until the batter was mixed. Whole wheat white flour looks very similar to regular all purpose flour so I wasn’t able to spy a difference. It was too late to undo the flour so I just baked them as is and hoped for the best.
Wouldn’t you know it? They turned out amazing and received full approval from my kids! They are always my taste testers. They never say Not Me when I ask, “Who is ready for a muffin?”
What ingredients do I need for Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Muffins?
- Fresh lemon
- Poppy Seeds
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Powder
What is white whole wheat flour?
White wheat flour is milled from white wheat berries instead of the red wheat berries that makes traditional whole wheat flour. The white wheat berries are slightly sweeter and lighter in color and flavor. White whole wheat flour has all the nutritional value as traditional whole wheat flour.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy SeedMuffins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar.
- Mix in lemon zest, lemon juice, egg, milk and vanilla
- Mix in poppy seeds, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Measure into paper lined or greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool slightly for 5 minutes and then remove from tin. Continue cooling on a baking rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together.
- While muffins are still warm, but not hot drizzle with glaze.