Cranberry scones are perfect for breakfast or a midday break.
Oh my goodness…..cranberry season is in full swing! I always buy fresh berries and bake up a bundle. But I also throw a few bags directly into the freezer to use when fresh cranberries are no longer available. Fresh is the best, but frozen berries come in a close second.
This year I have gone a bit crazy with fresh cranberries. I have bought a few bags every time I’ve gone to the store. I’ve made cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, cranberry nut bars and cranberry apple bread. Every time I open the fridge, there are more cranberries just waiting to be used.
I decided it was time to make cranberry scones. To make these a bit more delicate, I’ve finely chopped the cranberries. I mixed these scones in my food processor. It makes making scones pretty darned easy.
Cranberry scones for breakfast or for a mid-morning snack is a perfect treat!
Scones made with fresh cranberries.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter cut into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cranberries
- 3/4 cup cream
- 2 Tablespoons Cream for brushing on scones.
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice or milk
- Place flour, butter, baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar and salt into a food processor. Pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- Add cranberries. Pulse until cranberries are chopped.
- Add 3/4 cup cream. Mix for 15 seconds.
- Add additional 2 Tablespoons of cream, if needed. Mix 15 seconds or until forms a ball of dough.
- Remove from food processor onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead 3-4 times making certain everything is well mixed. Form into a large circle, leaving dough about 1 1/2" high.
- Slice into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Wedges should be placed about 1/2" apart,
- Brush with cream.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack.
- While still warm, mix glaze. Mix 2/3 cup powdered sugar and orange juice, or milk in a bowl. Drizzle glaze over scones.
Other Great Recipes to Try: