Impressive Twisted Bread with a Cranberry Orange Filling
As soon as cranberries make an appearance in the grocery stores, my every thought seems to be cranberry dishes! My original plan for this bread was to make cranberry sweet rolls like my raspberry sweet rolls. When I started rolling up the bread I was suddenly inspired by a bread I made last year - Cheesy Pesto Bread.
Instead of slicing the rolled dough into smaller slices, I made one long slit across the top of each roll.
Then I twisted the two strands together - making the twist in Cranberry Twist Bread!
When the bread comes out of the oven, it looks like you've create a nearly impossible masterpiece! Unfortunately I was the only one at home while I was baking this bread.
All the oohs and ahhs came from me - although I'm sure my kids would have been really impressed!
The kids did love the bread, but still no oohs and ahhs over the taste. Nope, my three teenagers just don't gush over my food anymore - they have become the silent type while walking through the kitchen!
I have to pry deep into their thoughts to know what they are thinking. I have become a mind reader - when they come back for seconds or thirds, I know I have created something they approve!
Now that I've made this cranberry bread, I am still thinking about making cranberry sweet rolls! Oh, so many baking ideas, so little baking time!
For now I am enjoying this Cranberry Twisted Bread. Yes, there are still a few slices left! The kids didn't eat it all. I toasted up a slice this morning for breakfast. Delicious!!!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
Cranberry Twisted Bread
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice (fresh squeezed)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add milk, yeast and sugar. Stir until mixed. Let sit for 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly.1 cup whole milk, 2 ¼ teaspoon yeast, ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- Mix in orange peel, eggs, butter and salt.1 Tablespoon orange zest, 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ cup butter
- Add flour 1 cup at a time. Add up to an extra half cup of four if needed.5 cups flour
- Knead dough for 10 minutes on low speed.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Add cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and sugar to food processor. Pulse until mixture is coarsely chopped.2 cups cranberries, 1 Tablespoon orange zest, 1 Tablespoon orange juice, ¼ cup granulated sugar
Assembly of Bread
- Punch down dough and divide into two equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll out dough to a 10" x 14" rectangle.
- Spread half cranberry mixture over rectangle. Roll up jelly roll style from long edge. Pinch seam together. Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Place dough on a baking sheet on a piece of parchment paper. Pinch one edge of rolls together. Gently twist one roll over the other. Repeat until the two ends come together. Pinch ends together.
- Cover bread with a clean cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and place on a cooling rack. Allow bread to fully cool before slicing.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.