Delicious Banana Walnut Muffins
These Banana Walnut Muffins are so easy to make and are a favorite for breakfast or for lunch box snacks.
We always seem to have bananas sitting on our kitchen counter just waiting to be eaten. Bananas seem to go quickly from the perfect ripeness for eating to way over ripe. Once they hit this stage they are perfect for these banana walnut muffins, oatmeal banana muffins, quinoa banana bread, or smoothies!
This batch of muffins disappears quickly at my house. I often divide the cooked muffins up and have some for eating now and I freeze the rest for later.
When I don’t have time to use up the really ripe bananas, I often just put the whole banana into the freezer.
I don’t peel them and often don’t even put them into a freezer bag. When I need a banana I just take the amount out of the freezer, let them thaw a bit and then peel and use. The bananas are easy to mash and work perfectly in banana muffins.
Tips on Making Banana Walnut Muffins
- Use ripe bananas, they are easier to mash and they have a sweeter flavor
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Mix butter, milk, eggs and vanilla together in a separate bowl
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix
- Stir in mashed bananas
- Stir in walnuts
- Use an ice cream scoop to get consistent sized muffins
- Bake in a muffin tin with paper liners or spray tin to use without liners.
How to Freeze Muffins
- Allow muffins to cool completely
- Place in a single layer in a freezer bag or a freezer safe container
- Place in freezer
- To use, remove from freezer and let thaw
- Muffins are best used within one month of freezing
These banana walnut muffins have chopped walnuts, but you could also use chopped pecans. If you aren’t a fan of nuts in your muffins, just omit them.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop.
If you loved this recipe you’ll LOVE all the others in this breakfast category. Check out all my breakfast recipes!
Banana muffins with chopped walnuts
- 2 Cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter, milk, eggs and vanilla together.
- Add liquid mixture into dry mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Add bananas and walnuts. Stir.
- Add batter to sprayed muffins tins (or tins lined with paper liners)
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool in tins for 10 minutes, remove from tins and then continue cooling on a baking rack.
This recipe for Banana Walnut Muffins was originally published in June 2015. The pictures and post have been updated.