How to cook black beans in an Instant Pot. Simple steps on how to make perfect black beans using an electric pressure cooker.
This recipe can also be used with other dried beans.
I received an Instant Pot for Christmas! Well, actually I bought myself an Instant Pot for Christmas! Now I've been busy trying out different recipes.
I use a lot of black beans in cooking, but often I just used canned black beans. Sometimes I would cook up a batch, but it always took 2-3 hours and then sometimes they still didn't seem perfectly tender.
The black beans in the pressure cooker turned out perfectly. They are completely cooked through and can be used in all my favorite recipes.
Tips for using pressure cooker
- Plan extra time - the actual cook time for these beans is 20 minutes. It takes 20-30 minutes for the pot to come to full pressure and about 40 minutes for it to release it's pressure naturally.
- Do not use the quick release when making beans. The cool down is needed to continue cooking the beans.
- Do not overfill your pot. The beans expand! I used a one pound bag of dried beans.
- No need to soak your beans before cooking. You can if you'd like, but it's one of those things I always forget to do and it's not needed!
- Wait for the float valve to drop and your pot turns to Keep Warm before opening lid.
- Open the lid carefully. Tilt the lid away from you when opening.
- I didn't add any seasoning or salt prior to cooking my beans.
These beans can be used in any of your favorite dishes.
Recipes with black beans
- Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
- Black Bean Taco Cups
- Spaghetti Squash Boats with Black Beans
- Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Black Beans and Rice
- Three Bean Salad
- Black Bean Dip
If you are looking for a pressure cooker, this is a great one - Instant Pot
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Black Beans
- 1 pound black beans
- 8 cups water
- Sort through beans making certain there isn't any foreign debris or shriveled beans.
- Add beans to Instant Pot. Add water.
- Close lid. Turn the steam release valve to sealing.
- Set pressure cooker to High Pressure Cooking for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure cooker to natural release - do not use quick release. This can take up to 40 minutes. The float valve will drop back down when all the pressure has been released.
- Open lid carefully.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.