Delicate, flaky puff pastry straws topped with Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. These light, flaky bread sticks are perfect for adding to a cheese board or serving with soup or salad.
Have you ever had puff pastry straws or cheese straws? Think of them as a flaky bread stick. They are easy to make and yet very elegant. Your guests and family will think you spent hours making them and they will enjoy biting into the light flaky pastry.
I used my Easy Puff Pastry for these cheese straws, but you can also use store bought puff pastry. Either one will produce an impressive result.
Steps to make
A complete list of instructions is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Roll out the dough.
- Brush with an egg wash and top with your favorite topping.
- Cut dough into strips
- Twist and bake.
Toppings for Puff Pastry Straws
I used Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds and poppy seeds and a sprinkle of salt. The Parmesan cheese was my favorite. I love the baked cheesy taste. You could get very creative with your toppings. Some ideas include:
To make ahead of time
These puff pastry straws benefit from a 30 minute chilling time after they have been formed. You can chill for several hours ahead of time if desired. Once baked, these are best eaten within a few hours or on the same day.
More great appetizers
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Baked Brie with Cranberries
- Coconut Shrimp
- Puff Pastry Bundles
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Wonton Bites
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you'll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my appetizers here!
Puff Pastry Straws
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- If using homemade puff pastry, divide dough in half and work with half at a time. If using store bought puff pastry, use one portion at a time. Roll out dough to approximately ⅛" thick.
- Lightly beat egg and water together. Brush surface of puff pastry with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle one of the toppings on surface. Sprinkle with salt.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into long, even ½" strips.
- Working with one strip at a time, pick up strip and twist both ends in an opposite direction until strip is completely spiraled.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press end onto parchment paper to prevent any untwisting.
- Repeat with remaining strips spacing 1" on baking sheet.
- Cover baking sheet with another piece of parchment paper and refrigerate pan for 30 minutes.
- Remove top sheet of parchment paper and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma Essentials of Baking