Delicious Caesar Salad made with a homemade creamy dressing.
What ingredients are needed for a Caesar Salad?
- Romaine lettuce
- Parmesan Cheese
- Caesar dressing
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice – optional
What can I add to a Caesar Salad?
This salad is perfect by itself, but you can make it a main dish for dinner by adding a grilled chicken breast, grilled salmon, shrimp, or thinly sliced flank steak.
Where did Caesar Salad get its name?
It was named after Caesar Cardini who first came up with the salad in 1924 in Mexico. The name and the recipe have survived almost a century!
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Yes, but you want to assemble the salad just before serving. To make ahead of time, chop romaine lettuce and store in a plastic bag. Grate Parmesan cheese and store in a plastic bag. If you are making your own dressing, make and store in refrigerator. Have croutons ready.
Just before serving, add everything to a large bowl. Toss until dressing coats everything and serve.
Tips for making Caesar Salad
- Cut lettuce into similar sized pieces. I like my cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Use fresh lemon juice – not bottled
- Use shredded or grated Parmesan cheese. Do not use powdered Parmesan that comes in the can. That doesn’t work well for this salad
- Choose your favorite croutons – you can use garlic croutons, seasoned croutons, Caesar croutons or make your own
- Use a bowl large enough so you can toss everything around. You want the dressing evenly distributed over every leaf of lettuce.
This is one of our favorite salads at home, when we go out to eat and even when we go camping!
I follow my make ahead steps above and place everything in individual zip top bags. At camp, I just throw everything in a large bowl, toss and serve.
Is Caesar Salad a side dish or main dish?
The choice is yours! It can be a side dish or a main dish. I’d have to say we probably eat it equally as a side dish or a main. When eating as a main dish, we often add one of the meat options and serve with buttery garlic breadsticks.
I also make Chicken Caesar Wraps using this salad.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Looking for more great salads? Check out all my salad recipes!
Caesar salad with a creamy dressing.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy Caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup croutons
- 1/2 lemon optional
Place chopped lettuce in a large bowl.
Drizzle dressing on top. Using two large spoons toss until lettuce is well coated.
Sprinkle on cheese and croutons. Toss again.
Squeeze lemon juice over salad and toss. (lemon juice is optional)
Ingredient amounts vary depending on the size of your heads of lettuce and how much dressing you like on your salad. Adjust to your taste.