Homemade Bread Sticks with Butter and Garlic
What goes better with pasta or salad than homemade bread sticks?
We love bread…maybe a bit too much! I try to pace myself. Really I do! But I do have to give a little bit into temptation. These bread sticks are really really really hard to resist. The fresh from the oven smell, the buttery sheen, and the smell of garlic. All that pure yumminess is just too much! If only I could limit myself to just one…
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Yeast
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Butter - Melted for brushing
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt
- Measure water into mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over water
- Sprinkle sugar over yeast. The sugar helps the yeast sink into the water and the activation begins.
- Wait 10 minutes for mixture to become bubbly.
- Olive Oil, Salt, and one Cup of Flour. Mix until incorporated
- Continue adding flour 1 Cup at a time. You might not add all the flour. With the last cup begin adding 1/4 cup at a time. You don't want the dough to be too dry.
- Knead in a mixer for 5 minutes - or 10 minutes by hand.
- Move dough to a large bowl that has been lightly sprayed with a non-stick spray. Cover with plastic wrap. Spray plastic wrap to avoid dough from sticking.
- Let rise until doubled - 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down down gently.
- Divide dough into halves.
- Divide halves again into fourths. Work with each fourth at a time. Keep unused dough covered with a clean cloth.
- Starting with one fourth, divide into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a 6" bread stick.
- Gently move each bread stick to a lightly sprayed baking sheet placing about 1/2 inch apart. Cover loosely with a clean cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush melted butter across tops and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Dried herbs and parmesan cheese can also be sprinkled across the top just before baking.
Note: These are freezer friendly. Make as directed. Place rolled bread sticks on parchment paper on cookie tray and let rise. Place tray in the freezer for 30 minutes until fully frozen. When frozen, remove from tray and place in a freezer safe bag. To bake, remove from freezer and place directly on lightly greased cookie tray. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Just before placing in the oven, brush with butter and sprinkle on desired topping.
Adapted From: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe