Homemade Bread Sticks / Breadsticks with Butter and Garlic. These soft breadsticks are perfect as a side dish for dinner served with pasta, soup or salad.
My family loves these soft buttery breadsticks. When the kids were younger, they would help roll out the dough. Now that they are older, they love to sneak a breadstick before dinnertime.
These breadsticks are really hard to resist. The fresh from the oven smell, the buttery sheen, and the smell of garlic. All that pure deliciousness is just too much! If only I could limit myself to just one.
How do I make breadsticks?
- Place water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and let rest for 10 minutes
- Add oil, salt and one cup of flour
- Continue add flour until dough is formed
- Knead for 10 minutes
- Cover and allow dough to rise until doubled
- Form into bread sticks and allow to rise again
- Brush with butter and garlic slat and bake
How do I shape breadsticks?
- Divide dough into equal sized balls
- Using the palm of your hand, roll breadsticks into a log shape.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover breadsticks and let rise.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven
How long do I bake?
These bread sticks are baked for 20 minutes.
Can I freeze breadsticks?
Yes, they can be frozen. Allow bread to fully cool and place in a freezer safe bag. Frozen breadsticks should be used within one month to maintain freshness.
Can I add different toppings?
Yes, these bread sticks would be delicious with several different toppings. Some options include:
- Parmesan cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Olive oil instead of butter
- Mixed Italian herbs
What goes well with breadsticks?
I have a Collection of Bread Recipes if you are looking for additional homemade bread recipes.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my bread recipes.
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
Measure water into mixing bowl and sprinkle yeast over water.
Sprinkle sugar over yeast. Wait 10 minutes for mixture to become bubbly.
Add Olive Oil, Salt, and one Cup of Flour. Mix until incorporated
Continue adding flour 1 Cup at a time. You might not add all the flour. With the last cup begin adding 1/4 cup at a time.
Knead for 10 minutes
Move dough to a large bowl that has been lightly covered with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap.
Let rise until doubled
- Punch down down gently.
Divide dough into halves and then into fourths.
Starting with one fourth, divide into 4 equal balls.
Roll each ball into a 8 -10" bread stick.
Gently move each bread stick to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place about 1/2 inch apart. Cover loosely with a clean cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes.
Just before baking, brush melted butter across tops and sprinkle with garlic salt.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Dried herbs and parmesan cheese can also be sprinkled across the top just before baking.
This post was originally in February 2015. The pictures and recipe have been updated.