I always make caramel popcorn in the fall. Usually for some sort of Halloween event. This recipe comes from my mom’s cousin. I believe it was her mother-in-law’s recipe.
Don’t you just love how amazing recipes make the rounds? They tend to be the ones everyone shares and the ones you use the most. Once you try this recipe, you will come back again and again. It’s that good!
The actual preparation of this caramel popcorn doesn’t take that long. However, once the caramel is made, you place the entire mixture into the oven. You can’t go far because you will stir the popcorn mixture every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
The hardest part for me is to not nibble every time I stir the popcorn.
It is best to use fresh popped popcorn for this caramel popcorn. I make mine using this Presto Microwave Popcorn Popper. You can make it right in the microwave, but unlike those bags of microwave popcorn there are no additives. You can make this without any oil and there’s no need to add salt for this caramel popcorn.
Sweet caramel popcorn.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 quarts popcorn popped, unsalted
- Divide popcorn between two large roasting pans lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray. Set aside
- In a large sauce pot, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a boil.
Boil for 5 minutes over low heat, stir every few minutes to make certain it isn't burning.
- Remove from heat. Add baking soda and vanilla. The baking soda will cause the mixture to foam up slightly.
- Pour caramel mixture over divided popcorn. Stir carefully to distribute over popcorn.
- Place in a 200 degree oven for 1 hour. Gently stir mixture every 15 minutes.
Remove from pan and break clusters into small pieces. Once cooled store in a air tight container.
Use caution when handling the caramel. It is very hot and will stick to your fingers causing a burn.
You might also like Halloween Apple Teeth