A perfect use for leftover turkey!
Thanksgiving dinner is a big deal and takes a lot of planning. Even when I start planning for the holiday dinner, I also start planning for the leftovers! The leftovers are just about as important as the main dinner! This turkey tortilla soup is a must for the after holiday menu. It’s delicious, easy to make, and uses up that huge turkey you just had to make!
You can make your own turkey broth or use chicken broth. For me, it just depends on the amount of time I have available. This soup also has black beans, corn, and roasted chili peppers. And an absolute must have are the crunchy tortilla strip toppings! They are simply cut up corn tortillas, seasoned and baked until crispy.
Other Great Soup Recipes:
A perfect way to use up leftover turkey by making a turkey soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 8-10 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup roasted chili peppers chopped
- 2 cups cooked turkey shredded
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 can black beans - 15 oz rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- Saute onions in a heated pan with olive oil. When onions have softened lower heat and add garlic, corn meal and chili powder. Stir just until the chili powder turns fragrant; 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, roasted chili peppers, turkey, stewed tomatoes, black beans, and corn.
- Cover and let simmer until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice tortillas.
- Place on a sprayed baking sheet. Spray tops of strips. Sprinkle taco seasoning on top.
- Place in 350 degree oven. Stir every few minutes until crunchy.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and tortilla strips
Other Great Recipes to Try