Enchilada Soup is comforting, nourishing and delicious. This flavorful soup is filled with all the flavors of an enchilada with ground beef, tomatoes, corn and black beans.
What is enchilada soup?
This enchilada soup is a cross between chili and chicken tortilla soup. The flavors sing with enchilada sauce and sets it apart from traditional chili and is thicker than tortilla soup.
Ground beef - or in my case ground elk burger is used as the meat in this soup. I typically use ground elk burger in any recipe that calls for ground beef.
Elk burger is very lean, and the taste is a just a bit different but it can usually be substituted for ground beef. You, of course, can use ground beef. Just make certain to drain off any excess fat after browning the burger.
I like to top my Enchilada Soup with crispy tortillas strips. Just a few is all you need, but I always make twice as many as I need, because I tend to nibble on the strips prior to dinner! This soup would also be great with some homemade cheese biscuits.
I used homemade enchilada sauce in this soup, but you can use canned enchilada sauce instead.
Other Great Soup Recipes:
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you'll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my soup recipes here!
- 1 pound ground beef or ground elk burger
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can Diced Tomato (28 oz can)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 can enchilada sauce (28 oz can)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15.25 oz can)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 corn tortillas
- In a soup pot, brown ground beef or ground elk. Drain off any grease.1 pound ground beef or ground elk burger
- Add onions. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.1 cup onion, 1 clove garlic
- Add broth, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, parsley flakes and enchilada sauce. Cook over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes.5 cups chicken broth, 1 can Diced Tomato, 1 Tablespoon ground cumin, 1 Tablespoon ground chili powder, 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes, 1 can enchilada sauce
- Add black beans and corn. Heat through.1 can black beans, rinsed and drained, 1 cup frozen corn
- Stack tortillas together. Slice into thin strips.6 corn tortillas
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle tortilla strips on baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, stir strips every 5 minutes.
- When strips are crispy, remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve soup hot. Top with tortilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, a squeeze of lime and fresh chopped cilantro (optional).
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Fred G says
A bowl of this soup on a cold January evening sounds great.
Stacey @ The Sugar Coated Cottage says
This soup looks wonderful, I love the little crispy tortilla strips on top to! It would be a perfect dinner on the deck! Take care.
Some of our summer evenings are still so cool and a bowl of soup would be perfect!
Karen (Back Road Journal) says
I really enjoy Mexican food and you have me intrigued with your soup...I can't wait to give it a try.
Ground elk burger, huh? Good to know Kathy. I actually have some ground moose meat in my freezer, I might just try that in this recipe, maybe mix it with some ground beef. I like how easy this is, and of course the lime and tortilla strips make it. My boys will love this!
Any type of ground burger would work - ground turkey, ground beef, ground venison, ground elk or ground moose! It's all a matter of what's available and what you like! 🙂
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
How good does this look, Kathy?! Love those crispy tortilla strips on top! Definitely would love to give this one a try 🙂
Chili is a favorite of my husband, chicken tortilla soup is a favorite of my kids...I'm about to make everyone very happy with this one! Thanks for sharing!!
David @ Spiced says
This enchilada soup looks amazing, Kathy! I remembering ordering enchilada soup for the very first time at a Mexican restaurant down in Baton Rouge when I lived there...and I've been hooked on it ever since! Interesting note about the elk burger. Beef is far common around here than elk, but if I stumble into elk in the store then I know how to use it now! 🙂
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
My husband Tom would love this Kathy! And he would have a hard time sharing the tortilla strips!
The tortilla strips are tough to resist!