Roasted Butternut Squash makes a delicious soup!
This weekend is a soup kind of weekend and Butternut Squash Soup is on the menu! We just finished a long week of parent-teacher conferences. The conferences are always great but the days are super long and exhausting. I am ready for a weekend of comfort: warm fire, comfy couch and warm tasty food. Butternut squash soup is just what I need!
I roast the squash to make this soup. I also roast the carrots and onions. It just adds another dimension of flavor. This soup is all about flavor…and comfort….and deliciousness!
My butternut squash soup takes a bit of time to make, but what I love is you aren’t in the whole kitchen the entire time it is cooking. You put the squash in the oven. While it’s baking you can curl up on the couch with a good book. While the soup is simmering, you can make walk away tend to something else….or keep reading that book!
This soup also can be reheated the next day, if you have any leftovers 🙂
Other Great Soup Recipes:
- Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Corn Chowder
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Slow Cooked Tomato Soup
- Turkey Tortilla Soup
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you’ll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my soups here!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 whole Butternut squash (halved and seeded)
- 1 small onion
- 4 whole carrots
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash, onion and carrots on a baking sheet. Place pan in oven and add just enough water to baking pan to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Check roasting veggies after 20 minutes. If dry, carefully add more water to the pan.
- Test squash with a knife. When it is soft, remove from the oven.
- Let cool enough to handle.
- Roughly chop onion and carrots. Add to pot along with minced garlic and sautee for 2-3 minutes
- Scoop out squash from shells into a soup pot.
- Add water, curry, bay leaves and thyme.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. In small batches, carefully puree soup in a blender.
- Return to soup pot over low heat.
- Add rum and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes to avoid scorching.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream, if desired.
- Whole carrots are best in this recipe. Avoid using the small, package mini carrots.
- Add additional salt, if needed.
- Rum is optional and can be left out, if desired.
- If soup becomes too thick, add water to thin.