I’ve been making all our bread for the past four months…. By my calculations that is almost 65 loaves of my White Wheat Bread! Every weekend I bake at least 4 loaves of bread. Once the loaves are cooled, I slice them up, bag them and freeze a couple so they are fresh for the entire week.
Homemade bread only stays fresh for a few days. Freezing the bread helps prolong the freshness. After four months of the same sandwich bread, I decided we needed a bit of a change; White Sandwich Bread! Don’t get me wrong, we really like our white wheat bread, but variety is good from time to time!
I decided to make white sandwich bread. But I just couldn’t help but add a few cups of white wheat flour just to help add to the nutritional value. This recipe makes four loaves of bread. I’ve decided when I make bread, I might as well make a large batch. It doesn’t take much more effort, and we sure seem to eat that much!
Homemade Bread Recipes:
- Honey Oat Bread
- Multigrain Bread
- No Knead Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Babka
- Cheesy Pesto Bread
- Pita Bread
- English Muffins
- Cheddar Beer Bread
- Cracked Wheat Bread
Here’s a great tutorial on shaping a loaf of bread.
Homemade bread perfect for sandwiches
- 2 Cups Milk , warmed
- 2 Cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 3 Cups white wheat flour
- 6-7 Cups Unbleached white flour
- In a large mixing bowl add milk, water, yeast and honey. Mix lightly and let sit for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add salt and white wheat flour. Mix
- While mixer is on low speed, slowly add 1 cup of unbleached white flour at a time.
- You might not need all 7 cups. You want dough to form a slight ball, and just be slightly sticky.
- Knead for 5 minutes by mixer or 10 minutes by hand.
- Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let dough double in size.
- Punch down lightly. Divide into 4 equal sections. Form loaves and place in a greased bread pan.
- Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let loaves rest for 10 minutes and then remove from pans. Let loaves cool on baking rack until completely cooled.
White Sandwich Bread recipe adapted from Joy of Cooking