Homemade Cracked Wheat Bread
I think my favorite food to bake is bread….well, maybe it’s dessert. No…it’s definitely bread, but desserts are a close second.
Cracked wheat is simply grains of wheat that have been crushed into bits. Adding it to bread gives a bit of texture and flavor. Cracked wheat is high in fiber and full of nutrients.
Most cracked wheat recipes call for soaking the cracked wheat in boiling water first to help soften the hard kernel. I do that too, but because I like a bit more texture I also add additional cracked wheat that hasn’t been soaked. This bread is perfect for slicing and used for sandwiches.
But it’s also really great toasted with butter and jam in the morning. Once the loaves are cooled, I slice both loaves. I keep one for eating and throw one in the freezer. Homemade bread only stays fresh for a couple of days.
Freezing one lets me have homemade bread all week long. I just pull the second loaf out mid week. Because it is pre-sliced it is easy to use right away. The kids will often make their sandwiches on the bread while it’s still frozen. It thaws quickly and their sandwich is perfect by lunch time.
Other Bread Recipes Include:
- Honey Oat Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Babka
- Multigrain Bread
- No Knead Artisan Bread
- Dinner Rolls
- Cheddar Beer Bread
Homemade bread made with cracked wheat
- 1/2 Cup cracked wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast or 1 package
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten optional
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3 cups all purpose flour.
Add cracked wheat and boiling water into a large mixing bowl.
- Let soak for about 15 minutes until mixture has cooled
- Sprinkle yeast on top of mixture and let sit for an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix in honey, butter, salt, vital wheat gluten, additional cracked wheat, 1 cup water.
- Mix in wheat flour one cup at a time.
- Continue mixing in all purpose flour until bread dough comes together in a ball.
- Knead in a stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Set aside until double in size.
- Once doubled, lightly punch down dough and divide into two sections.
- Form loaves and place into greased bread pans.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack for 5 minutes in pan and then remove bread from pan and let it cool completely before cutting.
Vital wheat gluten helps create a lighter bread that isn't too dense.
I use a stand mixer to make and knead bread.
Other bread recipes you might enjoy…