Homemade Cracked Wheat Bread is a delicious loaf of bread. This homemade bread is full of flavor with a bit of texture from the cracked wheat. This recipe makes two loaves of hearty bread full of whole wheat flavor and goodness.
I love making homemade bread. There’s just something amazing about the process of taking basic ingredients and turning them into a perfect loaf of bread.
Cracked wheat is a whole wheat berry that has been ground into coarse pieces. Adding it to bread gives a bit of texture and flavor. Cracked wheat is high in fiber and full of nutrients.
Most cracked wheat recipes call for soaking the cracked wheat in boiling water first to help soften the hard kernel. I do that too, but because I like a bit more texture I also add additional cracked wheat that hasn’t been soaked. This bread is perfect for slicing and used for sandwiches. But it’s also really great toasted with butter and jam in the morning.
Storing and freezing homemade bread
Once the loaves are cooled, I slice both loaves. I keep one for eating and throw one in the freezer. Homemade bread only stays fresh for a couple of days.
Freezing one lets me have homemade bread all week long. I just pull the second loaf out mid week. Because it is pre sliced it is easy to use right away. The kids will often make their sandwiches on the bread while it’s still frozen. It thaws quickly and their sandwich is perfect by lunch time.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be certain to check out my entire collection of bread recipes!
Cracked Wheat Bread
- Add cracked wheat and boiling water into a large mixing bowl.
- Let soak for about 15 minutes until mixture has cooled
- Sprinkle yeast on top of mixture and let sit for an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix in honey, butter, salt, vital wheat gluten, additional cracked wheat, 1 cup water.
- Mix in wheat flour one cup at a time.
- Continue mixing in all purpose flour until bread dough comes together in a ball.
- Knead in a stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Set aside until double in size.
- Once doubled, lightly punch down dough and divide into two sections.
- Form loaves and place into greased bread pans.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack for 5 minutes in pan and then remove bread from pan and let it cool completely before cutting.
I use a stand mixer to make and knead bread.