Multigrain Bread made with whole wheat flour, sunflower seeds and cracked wheat.
Today my boys turn 14! For their birthday I made them a loaf of bread! Okay....not really! That would never fly with them. Birthdays are for special dinners, cake, friends and family, and in their case, soccer....not a loaf of bread.
If it was my birthday, I'd love a homemade loaf of bread. But it isn't my birthday....don't worry, the boys are getting the full birthday treatment today.
I've been playing with this recipe for a few weeks. My first batch made three loaves. I decided to tweak the recipe. I often make four loaves at a time, but most people prefer two loaves. How many people have more than two loaf pans?
I also added more honey and more salt to the original batch. It needed just a bit more and now I think I've made a most delicious loaf of bread.
I use White Whole Wheat Flour in this recipe. This isn't a bleached or a refined flour. White wheat is a whole wheat flour made from a lighter grain than the normal whole wheat flour.
Whole wheat flour can create a dense bread. When I use all whole wheat flour, I also add Vital Wheat Gluten. It helps lighten the texture of the bread.
This multigrain bread is perfect for sandwiches or toasted with butter and jam!
Homemade Bread Recipes:
- Honey Oat Bread
- White Wheat Bread
- No Knead Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Babka
- Cheesy Pesto Bread
- Pita Bread
- English Muffins
- Cheddar Beer Bread
- Cracked Wheat Bread
- Sourdough English Muffins
- Cheesy Pull Apart Monkey Bread
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my bread recipes.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer add water and honey. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.2 ½ cups warm water, 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast, ½ cup honey
- Stir in cracked wheat, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, wheat germ, flax seeds and oats.1 cup cracked wheat, 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds, ½ cup sesame seeds, ½ cup wheat germ, ¼ cup flax seeds, 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- Add oil, salt and vital wheat gluten. Mix on low speed.½ cup canola oil, 2 teaspoons salt, ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing between each cup. You might not need all 5 cups of flour. Once you've added 4 cups, begin adding at ¼ cup at a time until the dough comes together but isn't too dry.4-5 cups white whole wheat flour
- Knead with mixer on a low speed for 5 minutes.
- Remove dough to a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dry towel.
- Let rise until doubled, approximately 1 ½ hours.
- Lightly punch dough down and place on a clean surface.
- Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves and place in a greased bread pan.
- Cover and let rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan 5-10 minutes after baking.
- Let bread fully cool on a baking rack before slicking.