Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Bread – a delicious loaf of homemade bread made with whole wheat flour and pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Making homemade bread is so rewarding. I love the process of making bread, the smell of making bread and looking at and eating homemade bread. This pumpkin and sunflower seed bread is my newest baking creation.
What is Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Bread?
Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Bread is a whole wheat yeast bread filled with raw pumpkin seeds and raw sunflower seeds. The seeds are added to the dough and sprinkled on top of each loaf.
What ingredients do I need?
- White whole wheat flour
- All purpose flour
- Raw pumpkin seeds
- Raw sunflower seeds
- Egg white (for glazing crust)
What is white whole wheat flour?
White whole wheat flour is a whole wheat flour made with white spring wheat. Most people are familiar with red spring wheat flour which is also a whole wheat flour. White whole wheat flour is as nutritionally equivalent as red spring wheat flour. White whole wheat is lighter in color and in flavor and is delicious added to homemade breads.
How do I make Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Bread?
- Combine water, yeast and 1/4 cup of flour together
- Let mixture set for 10 minutes until bubbly
- Add oil, honey, salt and 2 cups of all purpose flour. Combine
- Add seeds and combine
- Continue adding flour until dough forms a ball and isn’t too sticky
- Knead dough in mixer for 10 minutes
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and let dough sit until double in size.
- Remove wrap and gently punch dough down so it is deflated.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball
- To shape loaves, flatten round into a rectangle. Roll up jelly roll style and pinch seam. Tuck in ends and pinch ends together.
- Cover loaves and let rise for about 30 minutes
- Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven
What temperature should water be before adding yeast?
The water should be between 105 and 110 degrees. Any warmer and you can kill the yeast. Any cooler and the yeast might not become active. The best way to determine the temperature of the water is to measure it with a thermometer. Warm tap water usually falls between this range. Practice testing the temperature with a thermometer until you are used to what it feels like.
Other delicious homemade bread recipes
- White Whole Wheat Bread
- Cracked Wheat Bread
- Multigrain Bread
- Cranberry Twist Bread
- Apple Pull Apart Bread
- Sourdough English Muffins
- Apple Babka
- Homemade Pita Bread
What equipment do I need?
- Bread Pans
- Pastry Brush
- Stand Mixer – you can make this bread without a mixer, but this is what I use.
Don’t Forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you’ll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my bread recipes here!
Whole wheat bread with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- 2 cups water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast or two packages yeast
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds raw
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds raw
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
Combine water, yeast and 1/4 cup of flour together
Let mixture set for 10 minutes until bubbly
Add oil, honey, salt and 2 cups of all purpose flour. Combine
Add seeds and combine
Add 2 cups of white wheat flour until dough and combine. Continue adding white wheat flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough forms a ball and isn’t too sticky
Knead dough in mixer for 10 minutes
Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and let dough sit until double in size.
Remove wrap and gently punch dough down so it is deflated.
Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball
Form each ball into loaves and place in greased loaf pans
Cover loaves and let rise for about 30 minutes
Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with seeds
Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven
Allow bread to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pans. Continue cooling on a baking rack until fully cooled.
- Cut bread into 12 slices after bread is fully cooled.