Rich oven roasted tomato sauce that is intensely flavored with oven roasted tomatoes, garlic and fresh herbs. This is a perfect way to use up garden fresh tomatoes.
I’ve been making oven roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic and I’ve made a super easy and super delicious tomato sauce with some of those tomatoes. I have to tell you, this sauce is truly amazing! And once you have the tomatoes roasted, there’s really no more cooking, except to warm the sauce.
This sauce is made using the oven roasted tomatoes and garlic, fresh herbs, a touch of brown sugar and salt.
Steps for making oven roasted tomato sauce
A complete list of instructions is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Make oven roasted tomatoes
- Add cooled tomatoes, roasted garlic, fresh herbs, brown sugar and salt in a food processor
- Puree until smooth
- Taste and add more salt if needed
- Heat and serve or freeze to use later
Variations and Substitutions
- Fresh herbs – choose from fresh thyme, fresh basil or fresh oregano – use a teaspoon of fresh herbs
- Dried herbs – if fresh herbs aren’t available, you can use dried herbs. Reduce amount to just a pinch of dried herbs
- Use full size tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Substitute granulated sugar for the brown sugar
How to store
Store this sauce in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw and then heat in saucepan until heated through.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be sure to check out all my delicious recipes!
Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 2 ½ cups oven roasted tomatoes
- 1 head oven roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or thyme or basil)
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pl;ace all ingredients in a food processor.
- Puree until a smooth consistency,
- Taste and add additional brown sugar and salt if needed (see notes)
- The brown sugar helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Add up to an additional 1/2 teaspoon if needed.
- Add a pinch more salt if needed.
- Use fresh oregano, thyme or basil in this recipe. You may use a combination of the herbs as well.
- If using dried herbs, just add a pinch. Dried herbs are much stronger than fresh.
- You do not need to peel the oven roasted tomatoes prior to using.