Mini smokie sausages wrapped in puff pastry make perfect finger food. These Mini Pigs in a Blanket are always a hit at a party or when watching a football game on tv.
Pigs in a blanket
These mini pigs in a blanket are always a favorite at our house. They are made with little smokies or little precooked sausages and puff pastry. You can make homemade puff pastry or use store bought. Either works perfectly in this appetizer.
I like to top these with sesame seeds and poppy seeds just before baking. I think it adds a fun touch. And wouldn't you know, these are perfect dipped into my sweet and spicy mustard.
Kid food or adult fare?
These fun little wrapped smokies are perfect for kids, but adults love them too! When I make these for a party, they are gobbled up by young and old.
The name, Pigs in a Blanket probably originated as food for kids and is most traditionally made with a full size hot dog wrapped up in dough. You could certainly make these with hot dogs cut up into small pieces, but for me the little smokies are the best.
Steps to make
- Roll out puff pastry and cut into small strips about 1" x 3"
- Wrap each smokie in the puff pastry strips
- Secure the end by dabbing a bit of egg wash on the end where it overlaps
- Place on a lined baking sheet
- Brush egg wash on puff pastry
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be sure to check out all my delicious appetizer recipes!
Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 14 oz package Little Smokies (approx. 36 smokies)
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice puff pastry into rectangular strips about 1"x3"
- Beat egg with water
- Working with one smokie at a time, place on a puff pastry strip and roll up. Seal the overlapping puff pastry with a dab of the egg mixture.
- Continue with remaining smokies, placing each smokie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with a non stick spray.
- Brush the tops and sides of the puff pastry
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds and poppy seeds, if desired
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden
- Serve hot or warm
- These are best served the same day they are made
- Can be served hot or warm
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.