Your favorite restaurant appetizer made right in your own home!
I know you’ve had them. Those delicious crunchy, cheesy cheese sticks you can order in almost any restaurant. They make a perfect appetizer or snack anytime of the day or night.
I’ve made a couple of different versions of mozzarella sticks and now I think I’ve got a perfect recipe – double dipping the cheese sticks in egg, flour, egg and then bread crumbs makes a nice coating.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- Use panko bread crumbs
- Use a double dip breading system – first egg, then flour, then egg then panko bread crumbs
- Freeze dipped cheese sticks for 1-2 hours
- Fry at 375 degrees – make certain your oil is preheated
- Drain cooked cheese sticks on a paper towel
- Enjoy while still hot or warm
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce
Your favorite restaurant appetizer made at home
- 12 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs Italian seasoning
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
Unwrap cheese sticks. Blot with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
Set up three bowls: eggs, flour, bread crumbs
Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet
Working with one cheese stick at a time, dip into egg, then into the flour, then back into the egg and finally into the bread crumbs. Press bread crumbs firmly onto cheese stick making certain all areas are covered. Place on baking sheet.
Freeze cheese sticks for 1-2 hours until they are fully frozen.
Pour oil into a pan. You will need at least two inches of oil. Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Place 3-4 cheese sticks in hot oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve hot with marinara sauce.
Other Great Recipes to Try