This delicious barbecued pulled pork is made in your crock pot, not on the grill. Slow cook a pork roast until it’s pull apart tender and then add your favorite barbecue sauce. This crock pot BBQ pulled pork is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
There’s nothing better than a great BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich except perhaps a Crock Pot Pulled Pork sandwich!
There’s something so wonderful about a crock pot. I love throwing something in the crock pot in the morning and coming home in the evening to a house full of delicious smells and dinner almost ready.
It’s a little like having an at home cook, except none of the dishes get washed while I am away!
For this pulled pork, I put a pork roast into the crock pot and added a bit of liquid. I usually add beer, but I’ve also used apple juice or even just water.
The pork will produce a lot of its own liquid as it cooks, but I like to add a little extra so it doesn’t dry out at the beginning.
Steps for making pulled pork
- Use a 3-4 pound pork roast. The only real requirement on size is making certain it will fit in your crock pot. Otherwise, you can go slightly smaller or slightly larger in size.
- Place in crock pot
- Pour liquid over pork roast – you can use beer, apple juice or water
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high
- Test pork with a fork. Pork should break apart in chunks
- Remove pork from crock pot, allow to cool slightly
- When cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull pork into strands.
- Remove any fat or bone from pork
- Remove liquid from crock pot
- Return shredded pork to crock pot
- Add barbecue sauce
- Cover and cook on high until heated through
Once the pork is fork tender, I remove the roast and shred the pork with two forks. Then I simply get rid of the excess liquid in the crock pot, throw the pulled pork back in and add BBQ sauce and wait till it’s hot! Then serve on hamburger buns.
Can I freeze pulled pork?
Yes, you can freeze pulled pork. You can freeze the pork before you’ve added the sauce or after the sauce has been added. Just make certain is fully cooled prior to freezing.
What kind of BBQ sauce do I use?
You can use any kind of BBQ sauce. I like to use my homemade version of BBQ Sauce.
What type of side dishes go with pulled pork?
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious recipes!
Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- 3-4 pound pork roast
- 1 cup of liquid (beer, apple juice or water)
- 3-4 cups BBQ sauce
- Place pork in a crock pot.
- Pour liquid into pot
- Put lid on and turn on crock pot to low. Cook for 6-8 hours,
- Pork is done when a you can insert a fork and the meat pulls apart easily.
- Remove pork from crock pot onto a large baking sheet.
- Allow to cool slightly so you can handle it. Use two forks to pull meat apart into long strands.
- Remove any fat or bone
- Remove all liquid from crock pot.
- Add pulled pork back into pot.
- Add BBQ sauce and stir.
- Turn crock pot to high for 45-60 minutes until pork and sauce are hot.
- Serve on a hamburger bun.
Pulled pork and BBQ sauce can also be heated on the stove in a sauce pan.
Pulled pork can be frozen with or without sauce.