Make delicious BBQ Pulled Pork right in your crock pot!
There’s nothing better than a great BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich except….perhaps a Crock Pot Pulled Pork sandwich!
There’s something so wonderful about a crock pot. I love throwing something in the crock pot in the morning and coming home in the evening to a house full of delicious smells and dinner almost ready.
It’s a little like having an at home cook….except none of the dishes get washed while I am away!
For this pulled pork, I put a pork roast into the crock pot and added a bit of liquid. I usually add beer, but I’ve also used apple juice or when my cupboards are bare, I’ve added water.
The pork will produce a lot of its own liquid as it cooks, but I like to add a little extra so it doesn’t dry out at the beginning.
Steps for making Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Use a 3-4 pound pork roast. The only real requirement on size is making certain it will fit in your crock pot. Otherwise, you can go slightly smaller or slightly larger in size.
- Place in crock pot
- Pour liquid over pork roast – you can use beer, apple juice or water
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high
- Test pork with a fork. Pork should break apart in chunks
- Remove pork from crock pot, allow to cool slightly
- When cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull pork into strands.
- Remove any fat or bone from pork
- Remove liquid from crock pot
- Return shredded pork to crock pot
- Add barbecue sauce
- Cover and cook on high until heated through
Once the pork is fork tender, I remove the roast and shred the pork with two forks. Then I simply get rid of the excess liquid in the crock pot, throw the pulled pork back in and add BBQ sauce and wait till it’s hot! Then serve on hamburger buns.
Can I freeze pulled pork?
Yes, you can freeze pulled pork. You can freeze the pork before you’ve added the sauce or after the sauce has been added. Just make certain is fully cooled prior to freezing.
What kind of BBQ sauce do I use?
You can use any kind of BBQ sauce. I like to use my homemade version of BBQ Sauce.
What type of side dishes go with pulled pork?
BBQ pulled pork made easier in the crock pot.
- 3-4 pound pork roast
- 1 cup of liquid beer, apple juice or water
- 3-4 cups BBQ sauce
- Place pork in a crock pot.
- Pour liquid into pot
- Put lid on and turn on crock pot to low. Cook for 6-8 hours,
- Pork is done when a you can insert a fork and the meat pulls apart easily.
- Remove pork from crock pot onto a large baking sheet.
- Allow to cool slightly so you can handle it. Use two forks to pull meat apart into long strands.
- Remove any fat or bone
- Remove all liquid from crock pot.
- Add pulled pork back into pot.
- Add BBQ sauce and stir.
- Turn crock pot to high for 45-60 minutes until pork and sauce are hot.
- Serve on a hamburger bun.
Pork can be cooked on high for 4 hours.
Pulled pork and BBQ sauce can also be heated on the stove in a sauce pan.
Pulled pork can be frozen with or without sauce.