Asian cucumber salad is a quick, easy and delicious spicy cucumber salad that can be pulled together in less than 10 minutes. Eat right away or let marinate and eat later.
A delicious fresh cucumber salad
Cucumber and onions salad is a classic that appears regularly on our table during the summertime.
This version is made with sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce and topped with sesame seeds. There's also crushed red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.
It's not really spicy, but you can taste the heat. If your family is not a fan of spice, just cut back the amount to your liking.
Make this quick salad in no time at all. It's perfect for last minute when you need just one more tasty dish to add to the table.
- English cucumbers - a regular cucumber can also be used. Just scoop the seeds out of a regular cucumber before slicing.
- Red onion - you could also use a sweet white onion
- Red pepper flakes - gives just a bit of kick
To make cucumber salad
- Slice the cucumbers
- Slice the onions
- In a small container combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine
- Pour dressing over cucumbers and gently stir to coat the cucumbers
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve or cover and refrigerate to let the cucumbers marinate
If you refrigerate this salad before eating, the cucumbers will release some of their liquids and you will end up with more sauce. This does not affect the quality of the salad. You can drain before serving or just leave it at the bottom of the bowl.
Toasted sesame seeds
Toasted sesame seeds are added to the salad just before serving. You can buy seeds already toasted, or save some money and toast your own. The toasted seeds add a lot of flavor to this salad.
Place the seeds in a small non-stick pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Make certain you stir often and don't leave the pan! These go from done to burnt in almost no time at all! As soon as they start to brown a little, remove the heat and from the pan.
Asian cucumber salad is best eaten the same day it's made. I have eaten it the day after and it's still good. It's just at its best the same day it is made.
Yes, the cucumber peel is safe to eat and offers great color and bite to the salad. Wash your cucumber prior to slicing to remove any contaminants.
You can always peel the cucumber if you prefer.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious salad recipes!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups English cucumbers (sliced)
- 1 cup red onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted)
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, honey and red pepper2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- Shake or stir to combine
- Add cucumber and onions to a large bowl4 cups English cucumbers, 1 cup red onion
- Pour dressing over cucumbers and onions
- Toss lightly
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Toss lightly and serve or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Place the seeds in a small non-stick pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Make certain you stir often and don't leave the pan! These go from done to burnt in almost no time at all! As soon as they start to brown a little, remove the heat and from the pan.
- Can substitute regular cucumbers for the English cucumbers. Peel and seed regular cucumbers if using.
- Reduce red pepper flakes if you prefer a milder taste.
- If you refrigerate this salad before eating, the cucumbers will release some of their liquids and you will end up with more sauce. This does not affect the quality of the salad. You can drain before serving or just leave it at the bottom of the bowl.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.