Beer Basted BBQ Chicken is barbecued and basted with a butter, beer, rosemary and garlic sauce. This delicious tasting grilled chicken is a perfect recipe for your outdoor grilling.
Summertime is grilling time! I love using our grill all year round, but during the summer time, our grill gets used almost every day! These beer basted BBQ chicken quarters are super delicious and are frequently on our summer menu. They are perfect served with Roasted Zucchini, Oven Roasted Potatoes, Santa Maria Beans and a Caesar salad.
Rod is the real grill master in our house, but sometimes I have to step up to the grill and get dinner on the table. This recipe for Beer Basted BBQ Chicken is one of his standby recipes.
I decided to see if I could replicate it last week while he was with the boys at a soccer tournament.
The beer baste consists of butter, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and... you guessed it....beer! It is brushed on the chicken while it is cooking and it is pure deliciousness! You could substitute thyme for the rosemary if you wanted.
I used chicken hind quarters but you could use any cut of chicken. When grilling chicken, use a low, indirect heat. On my gas grill, I turn off the middle burner and keep the other two on low. This helps avoid flare ups, but you do need to keep an eye on your chicken and move it around if you do get a flare up.
Start adding the basting sauce when the chicken is about half way done. You just baste on the sauce and let the chicken cook. I reapply about every five minutes when I turn the chicken.
What is Basting?
Basting is taking juices and fat and pouring it over the top of the chicken while cooking. The juices in this recipe is beer and the fat is butter! While the chicken is cooking you begin brushing the butter mixture over the top of the chicken. This helps seal in the chicken's natural juices and adds extra moisture and flavor.
More great recipes for the grill
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- Grilled Flank Steak
- Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken
- Honey Lemon Chicken
- Grilled Baby Potatoes
- Grilled Pineapple
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or take a pic and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you'll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my main dish recipes here!
Beer Basted BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup beer
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 Chicken Hind Quarters
- Add beer, butter, whole garlic clove and whole rosemary sprig to a small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until butter has melted.
- Set aside until ready to use on chicken.
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides.
- Place chicken on a preheated barbecue grill. If using an gas grill, turn off middle burner and turn other burners to low.
- Flip chicken every 5 minutes. Watch for flareups. Move chicken away from any flames if flareups do occur.
- When chicken is about half way cooked (15 minutes) begin basting chicken with sauce.
- Reapply sauce every 5 minutes, when you turn chicken.
- When chicken is fully cooked, apply a final layer of sauce and serve.