Extra zucchini in the garden? Zucchini and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a great way to use up your fresh zucchini.
Years ago a friend made this dish for me for dinner. She wrote down the recipe on a realtor's notepad (one with the realtor's pictures and phone number). The recipe has been buried deep down in my old fashioned recipe file.
I still remember how delicious this chicken was and when I stumbled upon the recipe, I knew I had to make it. The pictures of the realtors on the notepad is hilarious....totally dates the recipes back 20+ years! The hair, the mustache, the shoulder pads! It's a good thing great recipes don't go out of style!
Right now my zucchini is going crazy in the garden. Anytime I can find great ways to use more zucchini, I quickly make it! Why then has this dish sat in my card file for 20 years?
I only wish I had the answer! Somehow it was folded into a small piece of paper and tucked deep down into the "Main Dish" section. If I hadn't pulled all the cards out, it would still remain hidden.
It's funny because I don't often use my recipe cards anymore. But every once in a while I pull out old favorites. The recipe card file is a dying art.
Who has recipe cards anymore? Nope, we all go straight to the internet and search for a new recipe when we need one. Favorite ones are marked and kept electronically.
I'm going to keep my recipe card file though. You just never know when you are going to find an old favorite!
Combine zucchini, egg, bread crumbs and cheese.
Place a heaping amount of zucchini filling on one half of the chicken breast.
Fold other half of chicken over the stuffing.
Place on a light greased baking sheet.
Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for 25-35 minutes.
How to make zucchini less watery
- Trim ends off zucchini
- Grate zucchini in a bowl
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- Squeeze zucchini with your hands
- Discard liquid
Tips for Making Stuffed Chicken
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess liquid
- Use Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Use shredded Parmesan cheese
- Pound chicken breasts lightly if needed to make even pieces
- Make certain oven is preheated before using
Other Great Chicken Recipes
- Orange Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Beer Can Chicken
- BBQ Basted Chicken
- Pecan Chicken Salad
- Oriental Chicken Salad
- Baked Chicken Pasta
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my main dish recipes!
Zucchini and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 whole boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 whole medium zucchinis (shredded and squeezed dry.)
- 1 whole egg (lightly beaten)
- ¾ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- Olive oil
- Butterfly chicken breast.
- In a bowl, combine zucchini, egg, bread crumbs and both cheeses.
- Place a heaping amount of filling on one half of the chicken breast.
- Fold other half over the stuffing.
- Place on a light greased baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for 25-35 minutes.