Zucchini Cheddar Pancakes are made with fresh zucchini and shredded cheddar cheese. These tasty zucchini fritters are perfect to eat as an appetizer or a side dish.
These delicious zucchini pancakes are also called zucchini fritters. They are made with just a few simple ingredients and are loaded with fresh zucchini and lots of cheese.
I had never had a zucchini pancake until I met Rod. We had a bumper crop of zucchini one summer and were trying to use as much of it as possible.
Rod decided to make zucchini cheddar pancakes. They were an instant hit and have become a staple every summer since. My kids loved them, but they absolutely insisted they be served with syrup (because they were pancakes!)
I love them with a simple lime crema or lime sour cream. The crema is made with sour cream, lime juice and zest and a bit of fresh cilantro. You may also want to try serving with basil aioli or chipotle mayo.
This section reviews the best ingredients and substitutions for this recipe. For an exact list of ingredients and quantities, check the recipe card below.
- Zucchini - Use freshly grated zucchini. Yellow crook neck squash can also be used.
- Cheese - I like to use sharp cheddar cheese. You can also use medium cheddar, colby, or pepper jack.
- Eggs - The eggs are a binder and help keep everything together.
- Flour - All-purpose flour is used in this recipe. You could also use gluten-free flour.
How to make it
In this section, I share step-by-step photos, cooking methods, techniques, and a general overview. For detailed instructions, temperatures, and timing, check the printable recipe card below.
- Grate the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain off any liquid and place the zucchini on a clean towel. Squeeze out any moisture. The liquid is a beautiful green color!
- Place zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with flour. Toss to coat.
- Add cheese and toss together.
- Lightly beat eggs, add salt, and then mix into the zucchini.
- Form large scoops of the zucchini mixture and place in a preheated skillet that has been greased lightly. Flatten each scoop so it forms a pancake shape.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until each side is golden and the pancake is cooked through.
- Zucchini is approximately 95% water. Try to squeeze as much water out of the zucchini as possible.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop for evenly sized pancakes.
These zucchini pancakes would be delicious with pepper jack cheese or for a very different taste, try Swiss cheese.
Finely chopped onions or fresh chives would also be delicious. And if you want to spice these pancakes up a bit, add some roasted jalapenos or peppers.
Frequently asked questions
Place fully cooked pancakes on a baking sheet and place in a 375°F oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Yes! Allow the pancakes to fully cool then place in a single layer in a freezer-safe bag or container.
More zucchini recipes
- Fried Zucchini
- Roasted Zucchini
- Banana Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
- Lime Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my vegetable recipes!
Zucchini Cheddar Pancakes
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon salt (for sprinkling on grated zucchini)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 whole eggs (lightly beaten,)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Place grated zucchini in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes allowing excess moisture to drain off zucchini.2 cups grated zucchini, 1 teaspoon salt
- Squeeze zucchini and place in a clean, dry towel. Squeeze off all excess moisture. Place zucchini in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle flour over zucchini and toss to coat.½ cup flour
- Mix in cheese.1 cup cheddar cheese
- Add eggs and mix until incorporated.2 whole eggs
- Mix in salt and pepper.⅛ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Place heaping scoops of mixture onto a hot, lightly greased skillet. Flatten out scoop to make a flat pancake.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side or until golden and fully cooked through.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This post was originally published in August 2016. The post and recipe have been updated.