Zucchini Cheddar Pancakes are made with fresh zucchini and shredded cheddar cheese.
I didn’t grow up eating zucchini pancakes. I never even had a zucchini pancake until several years after Rod and I were married. We had a bumper crop of zucchini and were trying to eat as much as possible.
Rod decided to make zucchini cheddar pancakes. They were an instant hit and have become a staple every summer since.
Summer is starting to wind down for us. The kids’ first day is the Tuesday after Labor Day, but I am already back at school, planning for the upcoming school year.
The tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, peppers, and yellow squash are all producing like crazy and I have no time to use up all this amazing produce.
I keep thinking – maybe if school were to start in October, I’d be able to spend more time canning, freezing and dehydrating what we grow. I don’t think the school year is going to change for my garden 🙂
So instead I have to adapt. We pick and can in the evenings and weekends. We freeze as much as possible and we eat as much as we possibly can eat!
Zucchini cheddar pancakes are perfect for this time of the year. They use up some of our zucchini and are fast and easy to make and everyone loves them! I’ve also been using up some of the zucchini by making chocolate zucchini muffin, whole wheat zucchini bread and zucchini and ricotta stuffed chicken breasts.
Zucchini is approximately 95% water. All that water can ruin a good zucchini pancake and as much as possible much be removed from the zucchini.
How to make zucchini less watery?
- Trim ends off zucchini
- Grate zucchini in a bowl
- Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes
- Squeeze zucchini with your hands
- Discard liquid
What ingredients do I need?
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, these zucchini pancakes would be delicious with a pepper jack cheese or for a very different taste, try a Swiss cheese.
My kids love these savory pancakes. I love to top them with a light cilantro lime crema. The kids like to top them with maple syrup! I’m not kidding. When they first heard zucchini cheddar pancakes, all they heard was pancakes. They brought out the syrup! I can’t get them to eat them with anything else! Oh, those crazy kids!
How do I make Cilantro Lime Crema?
To make the crema, take 1/4 cup sour cream and mix in juice from 1/2 lime, zest from 1/2 lime and a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
What to serve with zucchini pancakes?
Are they called pancakes or fritters?
These delicious zucchini pancakes are also called zucchini fritters. You can call them either name.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
A savory zucchini pancake
- 2 whole medium zucchini grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 whole eggs lightly beaten,
- 1/9 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place grated zucchini in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes allowing excess moisture to drain off zucchini.
- Squeeze zucchini and place in a clean, dry towel. Squeeze off all excess moisture. Place zucchini in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle flour over zucchini and toss to coat.
- Mix in cheese.
- Add eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in salt and pepper.
- Place heaping scoops of mixture onto a hot, greased skillet. Flatten out scoop to make a flat pancake.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with cilantro lime crema or maple syrup!
- 2 medium zucchini is approximately 2 cups of shredded zucchini.
- To make the crema, take 1/4 cup sour cream and mix in juice from 1/2 lime, zest from 1/2 lime and a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
Update: This post was originally published in August 2016. The post and recipe have been updated.