Thai Pasta Salad is a perfect side dish to serve with your favorite barbecue dishes. This vegan pasta salad has a light oriental dressing is filled with fresh bell peppers and cucumbers. Thai salad is sure to become a new favorite.
Thai pasta salad is a dish Rod and I used to make all the time when we first met. Then somehow it was forgotten. I was digging through old recipes and stumble across this recipe for a pasta salad with an Oriental dressing. Since the salad was rediscovered we have made it again and again.
This Asian noodle salad is perfect for almost anytime of the year. It's really great during the summertime to take to a potluck or a barbecue. You don't have to worry about keeping it cold. This salad is okay if it reaches room temperature. I often serve it when we grill up Marinated Flank Steak.
This pasta salad is vegan so it's a hit with just about everyone.
What type of pasta do I use?
You can use spaghetti noodles or thin spaghetti noodles in this dish.
How do I toast sesame seeds?
You can buy toasted sesame seeds or you can toast them at home. I like to toast them at home because they aren't difficult and buying them costs a whole lot more. To toast, use a dry small saute pan. I often use one that is perfect for frying eggs.
Do not add oil. Heat pan over medium heat and add sesame seeds. Use a heat resistant spatula to move seeds around. The seeds will begin to brown in 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a bowl as soon as they begin to brown. Do not take your eyes off the seeds while they are cooking. Sesame seeds burn in no time at all.
Additional Vegetable Options
We like to add cucumbers, bell peppers and onions, but you can add whatever veggies you want into this pasta. Some options include -
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Green Onions
- Snow Peas
The best part of this salad - besides its great taste - it keeps really well and makes amazing leftovers! I like to pack up any extras and take them in my lunch.
More Great Salad Recipes
- Israeli Couscous Salad
- Panzanella Salad
- Greek Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Pasta and Pea Salad
- Spinach, Pear, Blue Cheese Salad
- Asparagus Pasta Salad
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Orzo Chicken Salad
PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Please check out all my delicious salad recipes!
Thai Pasta Salad
- 8 oz pasta (I used thin spaghetti)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 bell pepper (sliced)
- ½ sweet onion (sliced)
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- Cook pasta. Drain, rinse in cool water and drain again. Place in a large bowl.8 oz pasta
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Cut cucumbers into thin slices.1 medium cucumber
- Add cucumbers, bell peppers and onions to pasta.1 bell pepper, ½ sweet onion
- Place rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes into a container. Mix well.⅓ cup rice wine vinegar, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger, 1 clove garlic, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pour dressing over pasta. Toss pasta until well combined with dressing.
- Add fresh cut basil and cilantro and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Toss lightly.1 Tablespoons fresh basil, 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
This post was originally published in August of 2016. The post has been updated.