It’s not too late to make Christmas cookies! If you are still looking for a great one to bake, then you must bake these sugar cookies with crushed peppermint candies!
Peppermint candies are crushed and added before baking. The candy melts into the cookies and makes a festive decoration and adds a delicious taste! I use either candy canes or round peppermint candies. Use whatever you have on hand. Just unwrap candies, place in a plastic bag and crush. I like some chunks but I also like to use all the fine sugary pieces too.
These sugar cookies are easy to make and decorate. However, you do need to plan ahead just a bit. Since this is a rolled dough, it does need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before rolling it out. Otherwise the dough will be too soft and sticky.
Sugar cookie with crushed peppermint candy
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 10 peppermint candies crushed
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Mix
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda and flour.
- Place cookie dough on a piece of plastic wrap. Cover dough completely with wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shape. Place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cookies with crushed peppermint candy.
- Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Cookie dough recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
Other holiday recipes you may want to try:
Don’t forget to pin!