Chocolate Crinkles are a delicious cakey chocolate cookie with a delightfully crackly exterior.
These chocolate crinkles cookies were one of my favorite cookies when I was growing up. Of course, I don't think I've had them in years!
When planning out my Christmas cookie baking, chocolate crinkles popped into my head. I decided it was time to recreate an old favorite!
I think what I remember most about chocolate crinkles is the outside of the cookie. The dough is rolled into a ball and then they are rolled in powdered sugar and baked. The sugar creates the crackly, crunchy exterior.
Don't skimp on the powdered sugar. Toss each ball of dough into a bowl full of powdered sugar. Gently place each ball on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Some of the powdered sugar gets absorbed into the cookie, but the rest creates a lovely pattern across the top of the cookie.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my cookie recipes!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a 6 inch disc and wrap completely with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When dough is chilled through and firm, remove from fridge.
- Form into balls. Place the balls into a bowl of powdered sugar. Roll each ball around until covered with powdered sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for a few minutes on baking sheet. Remove and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.