Quinoa and Farro blended with a lime vinaigrette makes a perfect salad.
I've decided it's time to share a delicious and healthy recipe with you. Lately I've been a bit indulgent....Beer Basted BBQ Chicken, Lemon Cupcakes, Confetti Cupcakes... I guess I have had a few healthy ones to balance things out. The Blueberry Lemon Popsicles are super healthy. I just don't want you thinking all I do is eat sweets and butter laden foods!
This Quinoa and Farro salad is full of flavor and you won't have any guilt after you've eaten a double helping!
This is a perfect dish to take to a summer potluck. It can sit out on the buffet table and you don't have to worry about anything spoiling. No mayo, no meat, no dairy.
It's also a perfect dish because it is vegan, vegetarian! It's pretty much a dish for everyone! Whoot Whoot!!!! I told you this is a winner! Oh wait....maybe I didn't say that! But trust me! This dish is a winner!
What is farro?
Farro is an ancient grain high in protein and fiber. It is a wheat product and does contain gluten.
The star of this salad is the quinoa and farro, but I also added lentils. I had some on hand and decided to throw them in. They made a nice addition, but are totally optional. You could also add brown rice!
The grains do take a bit of time to cook, but you can cook them ahead of time or even make extra if you are preparing them for another dish. Here are some directions on how to cook quinoa and how to cook black beans.
Other Great Quinoa Recipes:
Don't forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my salad recipes!
Qunioa Farro Salad
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup Farro
- ½ Cup Lentils
- 1 Can Black Beans (Rinsed)
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- ½ cup Chopped Red Onion
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 zest of lime
- 1 juice of lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 juice of lime or lemon
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Cook the Grains
- Rinse the quinoa well and drain. Place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Let cool slightly and spread out onto a plate to finish cooling.
- Rinse the farro and drain. Place farro in a pot with enough liquid to cover. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until soft, but still has a bit of a bite. Drain and spread farro on a plate to cool.
- Rinse lentils and drain. Place lentils in a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are soft but still has a bit of a bite. Drain and spread lentils on a plate to cool.
- In a blender combine olive oil, vinegar, zest, juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and honey. Blend until well mixed.
Assemble the Salad
- In a large bowl, place quinoa, farro, lentils and black beans, pepper and onion. Pour vinaigrette over ingredients. Stir gently to coat.
- Add fresh chives and cilantro. Stir gently.
- Just before serving squeeze fresh lime juice or fresh lemon juice over salad. (optional)
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.