Quinoa is an ancient grain that can be eaten by itself or added to many dishes. Learn how to cook quinoa and find a collection of recipes you can use with quinoa.
Quinoa is one of those foods that's pretty non-assuming and takes on the flavors of other ingredients. It is often substituted for rice or barley in recipes. Cooking it isn't difficult, but there are a few tips you need to follow so your quinoa isn't bitter tasting and is cooked correctly.
Once cooked, quinoa can be stored in a covered container and refrigerated. You can add quinoa to recipes or make it the star of the show! I use cooked quinoa in salads, main dishes and often add it to everyday recipes, like pancakes to give a little extra protein and nutrition to dishes.
Types of quinoa
There are three main types of quinoa - red, white and black. White quinoa is the most readily available and is what I use most often.
What's so great about quinoa?
Benefits of quinoa include:
- High in protein
- Gluten Free
- High fiber
- High in magnesium
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids
- High in other vitamins, calcium and iron
How do you cook quinoa?
The best way to cook quinoa:
- Always rinse quinoa first to remove a bitter coating
- Measure 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water
- Boil for 12 minutes in a covered pot
- Let sit off heat with lid on for an additional 15 minutes
- Fluff with a fork
Ways to use quinoa:
Some uses of quinoa:
- Eat as a side dish with a bit of soy sauce
- Add a tablespoon to scrambled eggs before cooking
- Sprinkle a tablespoon over a green lettuce salad
Recipes that use cooked quinoa:
- Quinoa waffles - Traditional waffles with added cooked quinoa into the batter.
- Quinoa pancakes - Traditional pancakes with added cooked quinoa into the batter.
- Quinoa banana bread - Delicious loaves of banana bread with added quinoa.
- Quinoa enchilada bake - Vegetarian casserole filled with black beans, cheese and enchilada sauce
- Quinoa farro salad - Whole grain salad with lentils, black beans and red bell peppers
- Quinoa salad - Fresh tomatoes, bell peppers and kalamata olives
- Quinoa peach salad - quinoa, brown rice and peaches
- Southwest quinoa salad
Don't forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious recipes!
How to Cook Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Cover with water. Use fingers to rub grains between your fingers, gently massaging grains.
- Pour into a fine meshed sieve and continue rinsing with running water.
- Place quinoa and 2 cups of water into a pot.
- Bring to a boil and cover pot. Boil for 12 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Do not remove lid. Allow quinoa to sit covered with heat off for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Can use chicken or vegetable broth in place of water.
- Once cooked, quinoa can be stored in a covered container and refrigerated.