Black Beans and Brown Rice combined with fresh herbs and spices. Serve as a side dish or a main. This recipe is a great use of pantry staples.
Black Beans and Rice – this is a truly versatile dish. It’s a side dish perfect served with any meal. It’s a salad perfect served at room temperature. It’s a main dish perfect served for lunch or a light dinner. It’s really whatever you want it to be.
I like it best served at room temperature.
Recently I made a huge pot of beans using my Instant Pot. Those Instant Pot Black Beans turned out perfectly. I used some of those beans in this dish. You could also use a can of black beans, just rinse the beans before using.
I also used some leftover brown rice that I had from the night before. This dish is perfect for using up leftovers. Of course if you don’t have leftover rice and beans, you can whip up a batch of each. If you have more black beans you need to use, check out this collection of black bean recipes!
Are Black Beans Healthy?
Many people wonder if black beans are healthy. Everyone has a different meaning of what is healthy, but these fit my rules for healthy.
Black beans are:
- High in fiber
- High in protein
- High in potassium
- High in B6 vitamins
- Low in calories
I made this dish using brown rice. However, you could also use white rice if you’d prefer.
To make this recipe:
- Use cooked and cooled rice
- Use black beans – homemade or canned. If using canned black beans, rinse and drain beans first. This helps remove the sauce that comes with canned beans.
- Use fresh chopped cilantro. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, you could use fresh chopped parsley.
- Use chopped green onions. You could also use chopped red onions, although they do have a stronger taste.
- Use fresh squeezed lime juice. Store bought lime juice does not have the same taste as fresh squeezed.
- Use approximately 2 tablespoons of lime juice which comes from about 1 large lime.
- If you wanted a bit of heat, add half of a finely chopped jalapeno!
- Mix everything together in a bowl, add seasoning and serve.
- Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
Looking for other recipes that include black beans? Check these out:
- Black Bean Taco Cups – Appetizer sized tacos cups
- Spaghetti Squash with Black Beans – Black beans baked right inside the squash boats
- Black Bean Burrito Bowls – Lettuce, rice, black beans, chicken and guacamole – need I say more?
- Quinoa Enchilada Bake – Vegetarian dish filled with quinoa and black beans
- Black Bean and Corn Salad – With a jalapeno lime dressing!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious Recipes!
Black beans, rice, cilantro and lime juice create a delicious combination.
- 1 cup black beans cooked
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
Add all ingredients into a bowl. Mix gently so all ingredients are combined.
Cover and refrigerate until serving
Best served at room temperature.
If using canned black beans, rinse and drain before using.