Black Beans and Brown Rice combined with fresh herbs and spices.
Black Beans and Rice – this is a truly versatile dish. It’s a side dish perfect served with any meal. It’s a salad perfect served at room temperature. It’s a main dish perfect served for lunch or a light dinner. It’s really whatever you want it to be.
I like it best served at room temperature.
Recently I made a huge pot of beans using my Instant Pot. Those Instant Pot Black Beans turned out perfectly. I used some of those beans in this dish. You could also use a can of black beans, just rinse the beans before using.
I also used some leftover brown rice that I had from the night before. This dish is perfect for using up leftovers. Of course if you don’t have leftover rice and beans, you can whip up a batch of each.
Are Black Beans Healthy?
Many people wonder if black beans are healthy. Everyone has a different meaning of what is healthy, but these fit my rules for healthy.
Black beans are:
- High in fiber
- High in protein
- High in potassium
- High in B6 vitamins
- Low in calories
I made this dish using brown rice. However, you could also use white rice if you’d prefer.
To Make Black Beans and Rice
- Use cooked and cooled rice
- Use black beans – homemade or canned. If using canned black beans, rinse and drain beans first. This helps remove the sauce that comes with canned beans.
- Use fresh chopped cilantro. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, you could use fresh chopped parsley.
- Use chopped green onions. You could also use chopped red onions, although they do have a stronger taste.
- Use fresh squeezed lime juice. Store bought lime juice does not have the same taste as fresh squeezed.
- Use approximately 2 tablespoons of lime juice which comes from about 1 large lime.
- If you wanted a bit of heat, add half of a finely chopped jalapeno!
- Mix everything together in a bowl, add seasoning and serve.
- Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
Looking for other recipes that include black beans? Check these out:
- Black Bean Taco Cups – Appetizer sized tacos cups
- Spaghetti Squash with Black Beans – Black beans baked right inside the squash boats
- Black Bean Burrito Bowls – Lettuce, rice, black beans, chicken and guacamole – need I say more?
- Quinoa Enchilada Bake – Vegetarian dish filled with quinoa and black beans
- Black Bean and Corn Salad – With a jalapeno lime dressing!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious Recipes!
Black beans, rice, cilantro and lime juice create a delicious combination.
- 1 cup black beans cooked
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
Add all ingredients into a bowl. Mix gently so all ingredients are combined.
Cover and refrigerate until serving
Best served at room temperature.
If using canned black beans, rinse and drain before using.