Three Bean Salad made with black beans, white beans and garbanzo beans.
How many bean salad recipes are out there? There’s three bean salad, four bean salad, five bean, Mexican bean, and black bean and corn! That’s a whole lot of bean salads and I’m sure there’s a whole lot more out there! Why so many recipes?
First, beans are good for you so people tend to come up with ideas to use them. Second, beans are so versatile. They can be served hot or cold; plain or dressed and pair well with so many different ingredients. And finally, people like beans! They taste good in just about everything, including salad!
What type of beans do I need for three bean salad?
I used black beans, white beans and garbanzo beans. You could also use small red kidney beans or pinto beans. Use what you have on hand or substitute your favorite bean, but just for the record, there are no green beans in this salad!
Do I use canned beans?
I used canned beans when I made this salad. You do want to fully rinse the beans to remove all the liquid the beans were packed in. Just place the beans in a colander and rinse. You could also cook your own dried beans. I have an easy Instant Pot recipe for making beans.
What ingredients do I need to make bean salad?
- black beans
- white beans or cannellini beans
- garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- green onions
- roma tomato
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes
Does this salad need to be refrigerated?
No, this salad does not need to be refrigerated. This makes it a perfect side dish to take to a summer potluck or BBQ. You don’t have to worry about anything going bad if it isn’t kept cold. This salad is also a perfect make ahead salad. Once made I do cover and refrigerate and pull out when ready to serve. If you do make ahead, just give a quick stir just before serving.
How do I make bean salad?
- Rinse and drain beans
- Add chopped and seeded tomatoes
- Add chopped green onions
- Add chopped fresh parsley
- Mix olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper together
- Add oil mixture to bean mixture
- Stir and serve or cover and refrigerate
A few tips when making this salad:
- 1 roma tomato equals 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 6 green onions equals 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- When chopping parsley, it’s easier to do a fine chop if your parsley is dry
- Don’t leave out the red pepper flakes! You can add a bit more if you like spicy or reduce just a touch if you don’t.
- Always taste your salad and add additional salt and pepper if needed
- Stir salad just before serving
Is three bean salad good for you?
Some great thing about this salad is it is…
- high in fiber
- high in protein
- high in iron
- low in calories
- low in sodium
How long will this salad keep?
You can keep this salad up to 3- 5 days in the refrigerator. If it’s not refrigerated eat within one day.
Are there other delicious recipes using beans?
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
Black beans, white beans and garbanzo beans in a fresh tasting salad.
- 1 15.5 oz can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 15.5 oz can Black Beans
- 1 15.5 oz can White Beans
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup roma tomato chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Rinse and drain canned beans. Add to a large mixing bowl.
Add chopped onions, tomatoes and parsley to beans. Mix lightly
Combine olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together
Add dressing to beans
Serve or cover and refrigerate. Toss before serving.