Coconut Macaroons are a gluten free cookie with a drizzle of chocolate. These delicious cookies are made with shredded coconut, egg whites and sugar. They are chewy on the inside and golden brown on the outside with just enough chocolate to make everything extra delicious.
When I was growing up my mom made a ton of cookies. With six kids in the house, they always disappeared quickly. She also purchased store-bought cookies to keep up with the hungry kids. Those disappeared just as quickly, except when she bought coconut macaroons.
My mom and I were the only ones that loved those coconut cookies! I guess it was all fair though. When she made peanut butter cookies, I was the only one who didn’t like those!
I was able to eat more than my fair share of those coconut cookies! I don’t know if my siblings’ tastes regarding coconut has changed, but I do know my dad still isn’t a fan. I still love coconut as much as ever!
In my household today, all three kids, hubby and I love all things coconut. When making these Coconut Macaroons I had to hide them to ensure they didn’t all disappear immediately.
The ingredients for these cookies are simple – sweetened coconut, egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla. That’s it! No flour added! These cookies are gluten free!
I added a drizzle of milk chocolate on top. My mom’s store-bought cookies from years ago did not have any chocolate. I love the combination of coconut and chocolate but adding the chocolate is completely optional.
Steps for Making Coconut Macaroons
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed
- Fold in sugar, vanilla and salt
- Fold in coconut
- Form cookies
- Bake cookies
- Drizzle on chocolate
- Eat cookies!
Other Great Cookie Recipes:
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Carrot Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkles
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Chai Cookies
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious cookie recipes!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Whip eggs with a mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold in salt, vanilla and sugar.
- Fold in coconut.
- Place rounded scoops of coconut mixture on a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly. Remove from baking sheet and continue cooling on baking rack.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time. Continue until chocolate is smooth.
- Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate over cooled cookies. Allow chocolate to cool and set-up before serving.