Sweet blueberry lemon bars with a shortbread crust, fresh blueberries and lemons and a crumble topping. This summery dessert is best served chilled making it a perfect make ahead treat!
This dessert is composed of four different layers – shortbread crust, blueberries, lemon filling and a crumbly topping. Each bite is just perfect!
Easy to make
Full printable recipe is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Make the crust – puree flour, sugar, butter and salt together until crumbly. Place in a greased baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Make the filling – combine sweet and condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Make the topping – combine flour, sugar lemon zest and milk together just until crumbly
- Assemble – Pour blueberries over hot crust. Add lemon filling. Sprinkle on crumble topping
- Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven
- Cool completely before slicing. Best if refrigerated for at least 2 hours before serving
A complete list of ingredients and measurements is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Blueberries – I used fresh blueberries, but you could use frozen too. Just increase the baking time to one hour
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly grated lemon zest
- One can sweet and condensed milk – makes the lemon filling so yummy
- Egg yolks
More lemon desserts
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Looking for more great desserts? You’ll want to check out all my dessert recipes!
Blueberry Lemon Bars
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can sweet and condensed milk (14 ounce can)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place flour, sugar, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse 5-6 times until mixture is crumbly.
- Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Press flour firmly down with hands or the bottom of a flat measuring cup. The mixture will be very dry.
- Place in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Combine sweet and condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- When crust comes out of the oven, pour blueberries directly over hot crust.
- Spoon filling mixture over blueberries. It's okay it it doesn't cover every area.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, melted butter and lemon zest. Mix with a spoon, just until the butter is mixed in and then continue mixing with your fingers. You want a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle crumbles over the top of lemon filling
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 – 45 minutes. The topping should be browned and the mixture bubbly.
- Allow bars to fully cool at room temperature. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Slice bars and serve
- Bars are best served fully chilled
- May cut bars into mini sized bars for a dessert buffet
Recipe inspired from Fine Cooking Magazine.