Tart lemon curd is perfect for adding to recipes or serving with fresh berries.
What is lemon curd?
A curd is a sweet spread usually made with citrus fruit. It is often served with scones as a condiment and is used as a jam. Curds are also used as a filling in sweet desserts.
When making curd, you do want to plan ahead a bit. You want it to fully chill before eating. This takes a good couple of hours. Don't skimp on the chilling time. The lemony flavors are so much better when the curd is chilled.
The color of your curd may be lighter than my vibrant yellow curd. I used fresh eggs from my chickens. Right now their yolks are a deep dark yellow color.
- Egg Yolks - Separate the egg whites and yolks
- Lemon - You'll use both lemon juice and lemon zest
- Sugar - Granulated sugar
- Butter - I use salted butter
- Don't toss those egg whites! Instead, freeze them to use later. Check out how to freeze fresh chicken eggs.
Recipes using lemon curd
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1-2 lemons)
- ⅓ lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- ¼ cup butter (Sliced into chunks)
- In a metal bowl or in the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Place bowl over pan with a few inches of water. Do not let bottom of pan touch water.
- Turn heat to high, add butter slices and begin stirring with a whisk. Continue stirring to avoid burning.
- Cook until mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a very fine sieve. Use a spatula to push mixture through sieve.
- Let cool a few minutes. Cover with plastic wrap making certain plastic wrap is directly touching the lemon curd. This helps avoid a skin forming on the surface.
- Cool in refrigerator for a least 2 hours.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.