Homemade buttermilk pancakes filled with blueberries
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes was originally published in June 2015. The photos and recipe have been updated and a video has been added.
Are you a pancake fan? Then you’re going to love these blueberry buttermilk pancakes! We tend to make pancakes in our house every weekend. We love them! I do try to mix them up from time to time. This time it was with fresh blueberries!
These pancakes can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries.
We finally planted blueberry bushes last year. These blueberries aren’t from our plants yet; hopefully in August! Luckily, blueberries are in abundance in the stores right now. These blueberries were just calling my name and I couldn’t resist!
Pancakes are a staple in our house and we make a lot of homemade pancakes. We do change it up a bit with what’s added to the pancakes.
Sometimes it’s just plain pancakes. Sometimes we make apple pancakes, huckleberry pancakes, strawberry pancakes, quinoa pancakes and of course…blueberry pancakes. After all, you do need a little variety in your breakfast routine!
Pancakes aren’t just for breakfast though. When Rod has to head out of town for a few days the kids and I always plan at least one “Breakfast for Dinner” night! Usually, it’s pancakes! We have also been know to make a French Toast Casserole on occasion!
Rod does not like breakfast for dinner! What’s up with that??? The kids and I feel so indulgent planning and then eating our special dinner.
The best is that breakfast for dinner is so easy to make and clean up! Rod’s really got to change his ways! Of course, if we had it more often, it really wouldn’t be all that special.
When I can, I use fresh blueberries in pancakes. To use fresh blueberries:
- Wash and drain blueberries
- Make certain there isn’t any excess water on berries
- Add whole berries to batter
- Cook as directed
When fresh blueberries aren’t available, I use frozen blueberries in these pancakes. to use frozen blueberries:
- Do not thaw berries
- Don’t add frozen berries to batter
- Add batter to griddle to cook pancakes
- Place 5-6 frozen berries on top of batter
- Berries will sink slightly into batter
- Cook pancake as directed
- You may need to increase cooking time just slightly.
Do you ever have leftover pancakes? Don’t toss them!
Ideas for leftover pancakes:
- Once cooled place in a airtight container
- Leftover pancakes are perfect for snacking on during the day – just eat at room temperature, no syrup, no butter, just a plain pancake
- Freeze leftover pancakes in a single layer in a freezer bag
- For breakfast, pull out as many pancakes as desired. Place on a microwave proof dish and microwave for 30-60 seconds. Time cooked depends on amount of pancakes and power of microwave.
Other Great Recipes with Blueberries:
- Blueberry Muffins
- Triple Berry Muffins
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Popsicles
- Blueberry Lemon Bread
Buttermilk pancakes with fresh blueberries.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups blueberries
Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and whisk together.
Add butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
Whisk in flour. Mix until combined.
Fold in blueberries.
Cook on a lightly greased hot griddle 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with your favorite syrup.