Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake with Pecan Crumble Topping is a coffee cake filled with blueberries and topped with pecans. This moist, flavorful coffee cake is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert!
Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake with Pecan Crumble Topping! Sometimes life just doesn’t get much better… especially when it involves a delicious home baked good! This coffee cake is filled with blueberries and it is so moist from the banana added to the batter.
This coffee cake would be perfect for breakfast or brunch. Coffee cakes are pretty versatile and can be served anytime of the day.
When making this coffee cake, you will want to use ripe bananas. Look for bananas that have a peel that is really spotted or brown. These bananas are best to use in baked dishes.
Do I use fresh or frozen blueberries?
You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries when making this coffee cake.
Can I use other fruit in this coffee cake?
Yes, you could substitute the blueberries for huckleberries, blackberries or raspberries.
Does coffee cake have coffee in it?
Nope, if you are thinking coffee cake has coffee you are just like my kids! No coffee in coffee cake. The name comes from a cake served with coffee. However, a coffee cake is delicious with a glass of milk, a cup of hot chocolate, a cup of tea or a cup of coffee!
How do I make this coffee cake?
In a bowl, combine sugar and butter
Add eggs and combine.
Stir in sour cream and vanilla
Add mashed bananas
Stir in flour mixture
Gently fold in blueberries
- Combine topping ingredients
Add cake batter to a greased 9 inch square pan. Add topping to batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes
- Allow cake to fully cool before serving
How do I know when this cake is done?
This coffee cake is dense and takes a long time to bake. After 50 minutes check to see if it’s done. Give the cake pan a little jiggle to see if the center of the cake wiggles. If it does, return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. The toothpick should come out with just a few moist crumbs when it is baked through.
Tips for making coffee cake
- Use a 2 quart baking dish. I used an 8 x 8″ baking dish
- Grease your baking dish with a non-stick spray
- Make certain oven is preheated to 350
- Butter should be at room temperature
- Allow coffee cake to cool before serving
Other great recipes:
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake with a Pecan Crumble Topping
- In a bowl, combine sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and combine.
- Stir in sour cream and vanilla
- Add bananas
- Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Add to a greased 8 inch square pan
- To make the topping mix sugar, cinnamon and oatmeal. Add melted butter and stir.
- Sprinkle topping over cake mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
- 1 mashed banana is about 1/3 of a cup
This recipe was originally published in June of 2016. The recipe and pictures have been updated.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes