Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are great for dinner or lunch and are freezer friendly.
Baked ham and cheese sandwiches are a family favorite from when I was a kid. We called them Ham on Bun. I figured I’d give these a slightly more refined name to share with you; Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches! Whatever you call them, they are delicious. I mean, what’s not to love? Hot slices of ham…..melted cheese….and a buttery sauce slathered onto a bun!
My recipe is for eight sandwiches. When I make these, I usually make 24 sandwiches and throw a bunch in the freezer.
They are perfect for quick dinners or for lunches. I often throw one in my lunch box when I need a quick sandwich.
Any type of ham works for these sandwiches. My mom likes to use a Honey Baked Ham with the thicker spiral cut pieces. I like thinner ham and I usually buy a boneless ham at Costco and slice it up at home.
It’s so much cheaper than buying from the deli. I package up the remaining ham and freeze it in smaller portions to pull out when needed.
I do the same thing with a block of swiss cheese. You can buy pre-sliced cheese and you can also use your favorite type of cheese. I often use my homemade hamburger buns for these sandwiches.
How to Make Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Make the butter mixture
- Spread butter mixture on the buns
- Pile on the ham and cheese
- Wrap up each sandwich in foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes!
How to Freeze Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Make sandwiches as directed
- Let the sandwiches cool
- Place the foil wrapped sandwiches in a freezer bag
- Place the bag in the freezer.
- When you are ready to eat, remove desired amount from freezer
- They are best eaten reheated, but they are great cold too.
Other Great Ham and Cheese Recipes:
Hot cheesy baked ham sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Melt butter in a saucepan with onions and both mustards, Simmer over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread butter mixture on the inside of the buns.
- Place ham and then cheese on bun.
- Place each sandwich on a piece of foil and wrap closed.
- Place wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
You can use your favorite type of cheese.
Sandwiches can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Add 10 minutes cook time.
Other Great Recipes to Try: