Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches are great for dinner or lunch and are freezer friendly. These tasty baked sandwiches are filled with layers of ham, Swiss cheese and a buttery sauce.
Baked ham and cheese sandwiches are a family favorite from when I was a kid. We called them Ham on Bun. I figured I’d give these a slightly more refined name to share with you; Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches! Whatever you call them, they are delicious. I mean, what’s not to love? Hot slices of ham…..melted cheese….and a buttery sauce slathered onto a bun!
My recipe is for eight sandwiches. When I make these, I usually make 24 sandwiches and throw a bunch in the freezer.
They are perfect for quick dinners or for lunches. I often throw one in my lunch box when I need a quick sandwich.
Any type of ham works for these sandwiches. My mom likes to use a Honey Baked Ham with the thicker spiral cut pieces. I like thinner ham and I usually buy a boneless ham at Costco and slice it up at home.
It’s so much cheaper than buying from the deli. I package up the remaining ham and freeze it in smaller portions to pull out when needed.
I do the same thing with a block of swiss cheese. You can buy pre-sliced cheese and you can also use your favorite type of cheese. I often use my homemade hamburger buns for these sandwiches.
How to Make Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Make the butter mixture
- Spread butter mixture on the buns
- Pile on the ham and cheese
- Wrap up each sandwich in foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes!
How to Freeze Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Make sandwiches as directed
- Let the sandwiches cool
- Place the foil wrapped sandwiches in a freezer bag
- Place the bag in the freezer.
- When you are ready to eat, remove desired amount from freezer
- They are best eaten reheated, but they are great cold too.
Other Great Ham and Cheese Recipes:
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
If you are looking for ways to use leftover ham, check out this collection of leftover ham recipes.
Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Melt butter in a saucepan with onions and both mustards, Simmer over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread butter mixture on the inside of the buns.
- Place ham and then cheese on bun.
- Place each sandwich on a piece of foil and wrap closed.
- Place wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Sandwiches can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Add 10 minutes cook time.