Cranberry Orange Swirl Cookies are a perfect Holiday Cookie!
Do you have your holiday baking on? I have been baking like crazy every weekend….and eating all these yummies too! Yikes!! I love to bake and I love to bake holiday cookies!!!
Cranberry Orange Swirl Cookies are pure deliciousness! This is a sugar cookie dough with added orange peel and a fresh cranberry and orange filling!
This recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Gardens. I have added orange peel to the filling and eliminated the nuts.
I don’t usually mind nuts in cookies, but I only wanted the flavor of the fruits this time. These cookies are bursting with freshness from the orange and the cranberries.
Making cranberry orange swirl cookies
You need a bit of planning when making these cookies. They take a bit of time. They don’t take a lot of actual hands on time, but these require two different chillings of the dough. If you have a full day of cookie baking planned, start these first and get the dough into the fridge.
Equipment I used to make these cookies
Other Great Cookie Recipes
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my holiday recipes!
Cranberry Orange Swirl Cookies
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange peel (fresh)
For the Dough
- In a mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix until fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla, eggs, and orange peel.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix.
- When dough is well mixed, remove from bowl and form into two discs.
- Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
For the Filling
- In a food processor add cranberries, sugar and orange peel. Process until finely chopped.
Rolling the Dough
- Working with one disc of dough at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 10 x 14" rectangle.
- Add half the filling mixture on top of the dough leaving a 1/2" border.
- Carefully roll dough into a log.
- Place log on a piece of plastic wrap wrap tightly. Place log on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Slicing and Baking
- Remove logs from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap.
- Slice dough into 1/3 - 1/2 inch slices and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on a baking rack.
- Use fresh cranberries and orange peel from a fresh orange.
- Dough may be frozen after formed into logs. Double wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month. To use, allow dough to thaw, then slice and bake according to directions.