Salsa verde is a green salsa made with tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and fresh cilantro. This fresh salsa is perfect as a dip with chips or spooned on top of your favorite Mexican dishes.
This delicious salsa can be ready in just 30 minutes!
Why make this salsa
Homemade salsa verde is such a vibrant tasting salsa. I love to eat this salsa with corn chips, but I also use it to spread on enchiladas, top on refried beans or add to burritos. This salsa can be used just like your favorite tomato salsa.
Verde means green and salsa means, well salsa! This Mexican green salsa is made with oven roasted tomatillos and no tomatoes. There's a bit of heat from the jalapenos, but you can add as much as you like to make it milder or spicier!
Many people think tomatillos are simply green tomatoes, but they are not. Tomatillos and tomatoes are both in the night shade family, but that's where the similarity ends.
Tomatillos are a funny looking fruit. They grow into a tall bushy plant and usually bear a lot of fruit. The tomatillos are round and grow with a husk around them.
Tomatillos are usually picked when the husk begins to split and the fruit is a dark green. The leaves, stem and husks of the tomatillos should not be eaten since they contain toxins. Once you peel the husks off the fruit, the fruit should be washed to remove the sticky residue.
Often when you buy tomatillos at the store or market, the husks are dry and papery.
Tomatillos are also used in green chili sauce.
Steps by step directions
- Peel and wash tomatillos
- Place on a baking sheet and roast in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes
- Allow tomatillos to cool to room temperature
- Quarter and place in a food processor along with onions and jalapenos
- Pulse until chunky. Add salt, cilantro and lime juice. Pulse again for 4-6 times
- Taste and add more salt if needed
Variations and substitutions
- Add anaheim, poblano or other chili pepper in place of the jalapeno
- Add additional jalapenos for a spicier version
- Mince a garlic clove and add for an extra boost of flavor
- Omit cilantro and add a few sprigs of fresh parsley
- Add a splash of white wine vinegar
- Add lemon juice instead of lime juice
Add a few spoonful over your favorite foods. Some ideas to try include:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be certain to check out all my condiment recipes.
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 2 jalapenos (seeded )
- 1 white onion (quartered)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425
- Place tomatillos on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes until slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut tomatillos into quarters and place in food processor along with quartered onion and chopped jalapeno. Puree for 20-30 seconds until well pureed.
- Add cilantro, lime juice and salt. Pulse 4-6 times until cilantro is chopped.
- Taste and add additional salt if needed
- Be certain to wash sticky residue from tomatillos before roasting
- For a milder salsa, use just one jalapeno
- For a spicier salsa, add an additional jalapeno
- Store prepared salsa in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
I want to grab a few chips and start dipping Kathy. Looks delicious!
It's perfect with chips! Enjoy 🙂
David @ Spiced says
I love all types of salsa...and homemade salsa is so much tastier than store-bought salsas. Pass me a jar of that salsa verde along with some chips and a cold beer, and I'll be a happy camper!
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
We love green salsa and this one looks and sounds delicious! Lots of fresh flavour! Now all I need are some chips to go along with 😉
This salsa is packed with flavor! Enjoy!!!