The count down is on! The last minute frenzy of making certain all is ready for Christmas is in full force. But we still have to eat, don’t we? The key to this crazy, busy time of year is pre-planning and quick easy dinners.
This one pot sausage peppers onions pasta is hearty, comforting, and quick and easy to make. This dish also feeds a crowd…key to dinners this time of year!
All you need for a complete dinner with this pasta dish is a salad and some french bread.
I use bulk Italian sausage in this dish. If all you can find are links, simply remove casing and cook up the sausage.
Italian sausage, peppers and onions with penne pasta
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole large onions sliced long strips
- 1 whole red bell pepper sliced long strips
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper sliced long strips
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12/ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, boil pasta. Drain and set aside
- In same pot cook place sausage. Break up into large chunks. Cook through.
- Remove sausage from pan and wipe pan with a paper towel to remove grease.
- Pour olive oil into pan. Add peppers and onions. Saute for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Once mixture comes to a simmer, reduce heat and add sausage and peppers.
Add cooked pasta. Stir and heat through.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
If the pasta seems too dry after adding all ingredients together, you can add 1/2 cup water or another can of tomatoes.
Other Main Dishes to Try: