Orzo Pasta with butter and herbs makes a quick and delicious side dish.
This post was originally published in October, 2015. The pictures and text have been updated.
These past couple of weeks have been crazy busy in our household; school, work, soccer practice, games, cheerleader practice, football games, soccer tournaments… Sometimes we rush home and getting dinner on the table is an urgent affair.
The kids are starving and want dinner…NOW! Fast, easy and homemade can be hard to achieve. This Orzo Pasta is one of our favorites. It’s super fast and easy and everyone loves it.
What is orzo pasta?
Orzo pasta is a small, rice shaped pasta. Because it’s so small, it cooks relatively fast. Use a very fine strainer when draining so the pasta doesn’t slip through the holes.
How long do you cook orzo pasta?
Orzo cooks in 7-10 minutes. You cook orzo just like you would any type of pasta. Make certain your water is boiling before adding the orzo.
What ingredients do I need to make this side dish?
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Italian Seasoning herb blend – dried found in the spice isle
Can I use other herbs?
Yes, you can use different herbs than the Italian seasoning blend. Some options include:
- Dried or fresh basil
- Dried or fresh thyme
- Dried or fresh parsley
What is a great main dish to serve with orzo?
PIN this recipe for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
- 8 oz orzo pasta uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend dried herbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and place in a serving bowl.
- Add butter. Stir until melted.
- Sprinkle garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Stir.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, reserving a Tablespoon to sprinkle on top.