Lemon Cupcakes with lemon curd and lemon buttercream frosting! These soft cupcakes are bursting with lemon flavor. Add the lemon curd filling and buttercream or eat plain.
Just imagine each lemony bite! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
My daughter just turned 16…how does that happen? She was just a toddler! Oh the joys of having a teenager!
For her birthday we made these lemon cupcakes. We also made chocolate confetti filled cupcakes because not everyone loves lemon as much as I do. Both cupcakes were a hit.
I love making homemade cakes and cupcakes for birthdays. Over the years the cake has been a huge focus for each birthday. I always plan what type of cake to make and decorate. She has had a teddy bear cake, a lady bug cake, Raggedy Ann, Barbie cake, a castle, a flip flop cake….. As she got older she helped me pick the theme and then helped make the cakes.
She has reached the age of just wanting to focus on delicious cakes instead of a themed cake. She still helps me make the cakes, or in this case the cupcakes.
Don’t worry if you don’t want to do the triple lemon with the curd and buttercream. These cupcakes are equally delicious all by themselves.
How to add a filling to a cupcake
- Cut a small piece from the top center part of the cupcake
- Remove cut piece and discard or enjoy for a snack
- Fill cupcake with filling
- Frost cupcake as normal covering hole and filling
What type of fillings can I add to a cupcake?
- lemon curd
- raspberry jam
- strawberry jam
- confetti sprinkles – check out these confetti cupcakes
- mini marshmallows
- mini chocolate chips
Other Great Cupcake Recipes:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my dessert recipes!
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Mix in sugar until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in zest, juice and vanilla
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in half the flour mixture into the butter mixture
- Mix in milk.
- Add remaining flour. Stir just until combined.
- Pour into paper lined cupcake pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cupcakes continue cooling on a baking rack.
- Cut small amount from top of cupcake. Fill with lemon curd. Top with buttercream frosting.