Homemade Hot Chocolate is so easy and Delicious to Make!
We had a white Christmas! It was one of the most beautiful winter days that I remember in a long time. I know much of the country was in a heat wave, but we had four days of non-stop snow and then on Christmas day, the sun was out. The sky was a brilliant blue and the snow sparkled.
During the winter we rarely see the sun…or if we do it’s just brief glimpses. Our days tend to be mostly gray. The snow does tend to off-set the lack of sun. But to have fresh snow and sunshine… It was a glorious day and we spent the afternoon sledding at Grandma’s house!
After a hard day of sledding, hot chocolate is just the ticket! And homemade hot chocolate is amazingly delicious! My kids prefer this hot chocolate over the instant powdered kind and often make themselves a cup. It really isn’t any more difficult than measuring out the powdered stuff.
We did top this hot chocolate with whipped cream, sprinkles and peppermint sticks! Sometimes we do chocolate shavings on top too! Most days, it’s just plain or a few mini marshmallows. Special occasions get the full treatment!
Treats to serve with homemade hot chocolate
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my beverage recipes.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- Heat milk on the stove top or in a microwave. You want milk hot, but not scalded.
- In mug, add sugar and cocoa powder.
- Mix in 1 Tablespoon of hot milk. Stir until all lumps are dissolved.
- Add remaining milk. Stir.
- Add your choice of whipped cream, mini marshmallows, shaved chocolate or enjoy plain.
Recipe can be doubled. Simply heat 2 cups of milk. Mix cocoa and sugar in individual mugs.